67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Power steering cooler line?

I just ordered one for my 68. Anyone have a pic of this installed?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

figure 9-72

http://thefirstgensite.com/library/6.../steering.html

Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was this an option in 1968?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For Firebirds, the P/S cooling line was 1969 only, not used on 1967-1968 or 1970-up Firebirds, and no GTO's ever used a P/S cooling line. A variation of the line was used on some full-sized Pontiacs and Grand Prix's.

Here's the cooling pipe on a 69....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Trans Am convertible (6).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	209167   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Trans Am convertible (8a).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	209168  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
For Firebirds, the P/S cooling line was 1969 only, not used on 1967-1968 or 1970-up Firebirds, and no GTO's ever used a P/S cooling line. A variation of the line was used on some full-sized Pontiacs and Grand Prix's.

Here's the cooling pipe on a 69....
Crap! I didn't know it was a 69 only option.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can still install it, it just won't be correct for a 68. You can always find someone at a cruise night or car show with a 69 Bird, and sell it to them. Most 69 Bird owners love to have something like the P/S cooling pipe as it was a unique item to the 69's. The cooling pipe was used on all 69 Trans Am's. The reason Pontiac added the P/S cooling line was because 1969 Firebird 400's and Trans Am's used the wider 14x7 Rally II wheels, fat F70x14 rubber, and the additional torque required to turn those wheels caused the P/S pump to run a little hot. Also, the Firebird 400's and Trans Am's were geared a little more for a performance enthusiast, so they anticipated hard cornering and higher speeds. The P/S cooling pipe was also used on the 1969 Grand Prix's. GTO's used 14x6 wheels, so there was no need for the extra P/S cooling.

If you do decide to install the pipe, you'll need to drill two holes in the top of your radiator (into the extra plate that's on top of the radiator) to mount the clips. There are two cutouts in the factory fan shroud that act as a guide for where those holes should be. Be VERY careful when drilling the 2 holes. If you go too deep, you'll puncture the radiator. Use a stop or something on your drill bit to prevent the drill bit from going any further than it has to.

Hope that helps...

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I may still use it as I have wide tires, lee steering box and AGR pump.

Mike I see that you have the factory crimped connectors on the return lines. Who did you find to do those?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's actually not my 69 Trans Am! I do have the cooling line on my Bird, but I used fuel injection hose clamps rather than the crimped clamps. I know a few people that have the crimper tool, and I will probably get that done someday.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
That's actually not my 69 Trans Am! I do have the cooling line on my Bird, but I used fuel injection hose clamps rather than the crimped clamps. I know a few people that have the crimper tool, and I will probably get that done someday.
I have some of the clamps and a crimper.
Will do it for you if you provide the extra clamps(not wanting to use mine up)