THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another SS is born

A guy in my office sold his car 2 years ago, a 66 Malibu, white with blue int., 283, auto, protecto-plate and all other docs. Nothing special, but a nice, original survivor car in nice shape. He sold it for $9500.

Today he gets an email from the guy that bought it offering it back to him, for $54,000.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1718844070.html

Pics aren't great, but it looks like a quality hot rod build, complete with Chevelle SS badges.

I've often heard the phrase "They are more SS's on the road today than Chevy ever built". I guess this is just another nail in that coffin, and another reason I'm glad that we have PHS for our ponchos.

Last edited by 69goatboy; 06-02-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So true.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

looks good!!

phs or not theres probaly more gto's on the road today than built also. besides that chevelle has either a 136 or 138 vin just like the gtos have their 242's so anyone dooped into buying one with ss badges but without a 138 vin kinda has it coming

Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive seen this car in person...very nice...seems to be done right..

Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
Ive seen this car in person...very nice...seems to be done right..
Maybe so, but what was bought as a Malibu, is now being sold as as a Chevelle SS.
I wonder if the protecto-plate and the other docs are being sold with it?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Bingo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
looks good!!

phs or not theres probaly more gto's on the road today than built also. besides that chevelle has either a 136 or 138 vin just like the gtos have their 242's so anyone dooped into buying one with ss badges but without a 138 vin kinda has it coming
obvious even to the novice. Also...the point is quite moot as it looks as though the hood and steering wheel are about the only "correct" parts on the car. JMHO

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it's funny that the guy that he sold it to actually has the audacity to e-mail him wanting to sell it back for a ridiculous price.
I can see that point though, everything is an SS. I kinda look at the other cars more than the clones. There's more Judges, '69 T/As and GTOs than originally built for sure. I went to a Pontiac dust-off back a few years ago in or around Waterford, MI. I had an awesome time there, drooled over everything (figuratively). Anyway, there was a couple '69 T/As there. The problem I had was that I didn't know much about them, other than they were extremely rare. The clone actually looked exactly like the real one there. I figured they were both clones.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks nice. In his ad he's not saying it's a clone, but also not saying it's a "real deal" SS. I wonder what he's saying to those asking about it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 PM

This "cloning" has been going on a long time. Back in the mid-eighties I used to buy the "Auto Trader" magazines even at times when I wasn't in the market to buy. I swear that 9 out of 10 Novas wore the SS badges in the grille! And some looked ridiculous because the badges were mounted too high or too low. The Z-28 was recreated alot as well.......nothing like a 69 Z-28 with the 307 and Powerglide! I still have some of these magazines kickin' around in the garage, and once in awhile we thumb through them and compare cars and prices. WOW! The pickin's were good. I remember seeing a Hemi Cuda up for sale at $25,000 thinking that was big money! Back then, if you were interested in the car you more than likely made a long distance call, and discussed the car, and if you wanted to see more of it..........had the guy send you pictures (developed) by mail.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 PM

I don't see where he even mentions that is an SS, but only says it is a Chevelle. Up front if you ask me.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
A guy in my office sold his car 2 years ago, a 66 Malibu, white with blue int., 283, auto, protecto-plate and all other docs. Nothing special, but a nice, original survivor car in nice shape. He sold it for $9500.

Today he gets an email from the guy that bought it offering it back to him, for $54,000.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1718844070.html

Pics aren't great, but it looks like a quality hot rod build, complete with Chevelle SS badges.

I've often heard the phrase "They are more SS's on the road today than Chevy ever built". I guess this is just another nail in that coffin, and another reason I'm glad that we have PHS for our ponchos.

If I remember correctly all 1966 Chevelle SS' had factory big blocks and not a 283.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
I don't see where he even mentions that is an SS, but only says it is a Chevelle. Up front if you ask me.
Looking back at it, you're right.

I'm not up on the Chevy lineage, are a Malibu and a Chevelle 2 different animals?

If so, would that be the Pontiac equivalent of advertising a GTO that's really a LeMans? or a LeMans that's really a Tempest?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i think chevelle 300 would be base model, then malibu were was the fancier of the 2 cars, then accorse for the paticular year of the car in this post would have been
the ss chevelle. i think before 66 it woulda been called malibu ss

Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default FYI

Up through at least 1967 models, Malibu carried the Chevelle nameplate somewhere on the car, don't remember the specifics right off hand, but I think it was on the decklid, and perhaps the dashboard, or steering wheel.
It was the same case senario as the Catalina Ventura of the mid sixties.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
If I remember correctly all 1966 Chevelle SS' had factory big blocks and not a 283.
Not sure myself, but I think that rule only applies to 68-69 models.
I know for sure you could get a small block or even an I-6 in a 64-65 Chevelle SS.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no car with torque thrusts is worth over $15k imho, same for almost all grant steering wheels.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Not sure myself, but I think that rule only applies to 68-69 models.
I know for sure you could get a small block or even an I-6 in a 64-65 Chevelle SS.
i think you're right on that although I know the SS could beordered on an Impala up until 67 with a 6 cyl engine. I about **** when I first ran across one of them with the window sticker intact.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Either way it is kinda weird. I can understand the reasoning behind an SS being ordered with a 6 cyl back in '64 and '65 though. If they could be ordered with the big blocks, the GTO wouldn't have been the original muscle car IMO.
I had an option to buy a '64 Chevelle SS with factory air and that ugly banana yellow color back when I was going to buy the '66 GTO. It was one of 99 built. I really didn't like that car as much as the GTO. I'm still glad I chose it.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis-formerly Jegstek View Post
obvious even to the novice. Also...the point is quite moot as it looks as though the hood and steering wheel are about the only "correct" parts on the car. JMHO
Strike the hood. It's a cowl induction hood, and those weren't available until 67, and even then it was a Z28.

I'd expect something more than an OEM bench for $54,000.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
Well, he put the SS badges on it. That is some representation that it is an SS car, isn't it?