Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Disc Brake conversion and 14 inch wheels

Hey folks I have a 68 which came with 14 inch rally wheels and I have restored the wheels and would like to keep them. I really want to do a disc conversion and wonder if anyone has had the experience of fitting within 14 inch wheels. Most vendors say that their kits will not fit the 14's but I wonder if anyone has tried or if there are different or wider 14 inch wheels that I may have which will make a difference. I have seen vendors sell a kit specifically for 14's but the brakes seem to be a compromise and in at least one case they use a rotor that is not available in the aftermarket at all. PLus the kit runs $750 which is 250 more than the other kits. If there are no options out there, has anyone tried the wheel vintique rally's? They look very nice to me but expensive. Any help would sure be appreciated thanks
Reed

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

68 GTO? Firebird? Catalina?

I have a 4 wheel disk conversion and 15" wheels... and they don't have much room. I seriously doubt 14"s would fit on mine (Classic Performance Products)

I'd pay the extra $250... alot cheaper than 600 or whatever for new wheels. And I doubt the 14" wheel kit would be too much of a compromise for stopping... but can't say for certain.

The Right Stuff Detailing has some nice stuff... and they have disk conversions for 14" wheels. give em' a call if you're interested.

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/RSeComm...1968&Model=130

Course there's several other brake conversion kits/companys out there, so shop around.

HTH
-Matt

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have installed a power front disc brake conversion that is sold by AMES and provided to them by The Right Stuff out of Ohio and it fit excellent and 14" wheels are being used. They also offer alll our original brake, fuel & transmission lines in stainless and or galvanized. No issues at all. 1-800-405-2000. Dave is the owner of The Right Stuff. Give them a call for your application. Wheel Vintiques makes very nice stuff as well.

Tim john---

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The path of least resistance(simpler and cheaper, as well as better results) is get a set of 15" rally wheels and refurbish them, convert to single piston style brakes from a 69-up GM F or A-body.

Or you can get the 68 style brakes but I believe they used special disc brake 14" rims AND they are expensive to maintain according to those that have them.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using the '69-up disc brake conversion from the right stuff with original 14x6 rally I's. They clear the calipers fine, but the reproduction caliper brackets did hit the rim. I did some hammering, filing on the brackets and they now clear. I bought my parts from the right stuff also. They're local, so I took a rim there to see how it fit before I bought them. I saw they rubbed there, right stuff was very helpful. They also sell the '67/68 caliper kit which will fit no problem.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy did the Right Stuff conversion and he had a small problem with the caliper bracket hitting the Rally 2 wheel. I little grinding and....bingo. everything is good. FWIW, the GM factory brackets would probably clear just fine.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.