Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Jim Hand's Latest Muffler???

Does anyone know what Jim is using lately? Any experiences with a good free flowing muffler that is quiet?

Did I mention QUIET?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST View Post
Does anyone know what Jim is using lately? Any experiences with a good free flowing muffler that is quiet?

Did I mention QUIET?
Dynomax Super Turbo #17770

Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator

The Dynomax super turbo is still the quietest performance muffler on the market.

downside;

1. crimped case design. Doesn't hold up as well to high horsepower situations.
2. Not as good of flow for high horsepower situations.

Straight thru mufflers: Dynomax Ultra Flow, Goerlich's Xlerator, Pypes Race Pro, Magnaflow. All flow and sound very similar in the 18" version.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
The Dynomax super turbo is still the quietest performance muffler on the market.

downside;

1. crimped case design. Doesn't hold up as well to high horsepower situations.
2. Not as good of flow for high horsepower situations.

Straight thru mufflers: Dynomax Ultra Flow, Goerlich's Xlerator, Pypes Race Pro, Magnaflow. All flow and sound very similar in the 18" version.

The Ultra Flows on my 66 sound much louder then the Super Turbos they replaced, and I would not call the sound similar by that token. That said, I did blow football sized holes in the Super Turbos on 2 different high HP cars over the years, whereas fully welded and much more substantial (and expensive) Ultra Flows have stayed together. For a true quiet street car that you're not regularly flogging at WOT with upwards of 500HP, the SuperTurbos are superb. The straight through designs are just going to add decibels, not enjoyment if quiet is your priority #1.

Part of The Harem:
Old 05-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
The Ultra Flows on my 66 sound much louder then the Super Turbos they replaced, and I would not call the sound similar by that token.
They should sound much louder. I meant that all the 'straight thru' mufflers I listed sound very similar. The Super Turbos were not in my list and I did not mean to infer they sounded similar to all the others in my list.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, do you offer the 17770s? Are the Pypes Street Pros discontinued?

If you don't offer the 17770s, what is your system pricing minus the mufflers?

Will your system be compatible with a Waldron VOE muffler, regarding offset.

Thanks in advance, Matt

Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Matt, your best place to get the 17770's are Summit or Jegs. Pypes Street Pro's are our most popular muffler but not for you based on your posts.

If the VOE muffler is off/off, then you could use them on our system but I wouldn't recommend them for your horsepower level. Open or closed, they are a very average flowing muffler. They're more for OEM horsepower cars for owners that just want to have some fun.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST View Post

If you don't offer the 17770s, what is your system pricing minus the mufflers?
You save about $75 when ordering a muffler delete system.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM

FWIW, the Hooker Maxflows are also a very highly rated muffler, in terms of flow, and still provide very good sound control. I have a set on my late model GTP and I've been very pleased with the sound and performance...not sure what the part # would be for your app. though.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last i heard, Jim was using the Goerlich Xlerators.

Great muffler, I've now used it on two cars, but ran great and rather quiet (for 3" muffs). Don't know what has happened, but I recently needed new muffs for one of my other cars, and could not find a good source for the Goerlichs, and went with the Pypes Race Pros.

The Pypes (18" case) are rather quiet at low and mid loads, but are raspier than I'd like at WOT.

FYI, I replaced some 19 year old 2.5" Flowmasters (2.5" from collectors to rear outlet) with the 3" Pypes (replaced the piping between collectors and mufflers with 3", kept the same 2.5" tails). On my chassis dyno, peak to peak, I gained 20rwhp. The powerband expanded noticably, and the power gain increased even more past peak.

Lee

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the current Super Turbos the same as when they were first introduced many years ago? I purchased a pair when they first came out, and was curious whether the design was still the same.