Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

Default #13 heads $$$?

What would a set of #13 heads mildly ported ready to run be worth?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough call. I sold an original (non ported) #13 set needing a rebuild and got $350 for the pair. They were a matched set as per the date codes and someone wanted them for that reason. That always helps to increase the circle of prospective buyers.

Generally, IMHO if they are ported I usually stay away unless the port work is from a known builder and there is some documentation to that effect. This is mostly based on the assumption that the buyer is going to need them shipped and cannot see them first.

If local, and one can visually inspect them (and the port work) you have a better chance but ultimately I believe more money is commanded if the market is broadened via ebay or some other online venue. FWIW

Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Chief

This guy wants $500 for the pair. From looking at the port work done, he thinks they should flow about 240cfm. Long time Pontiac owner and racer. Seems like he knows what he is talking about. Looking to replace the 6X-8's on my 400 and bump up the CR a bit.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this off the KC craigslist? He lives up North by Cameron??? JD

Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Chief

Yep, thats the one. I want these heads but not sure about the porting. I have done some looking and have a good idea what to look for, but still not sure. Looking to ditch my XE268 and go with a different cam.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTurbo View Post
Yep, thats the one. I want these heads but not sure about the porting. I have done some looking and have a good idea what to look for, but still not sure. Looking to ditch my XE268 and go with a different cam.
I've talked with him before about some 455 blocks/cranks he had for sale. I did not buy from him but he seemed like a decent fellow. If the heads are bolt on ready then $500 is a decent deal. If not it's a little high imho. What intake gaskets are they matched too? Have they been milled? There's a lot of unknown areas about the heads? Factory valve seats or hardened for unleased fuel? JD

Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Senior Chief

Well, I bought the heads. Got them home and did some checking on them. I still have to check the chamber volume, but the porting looks pretty decent. Intake bowls have been opened up to a little over 1.70. One spot in an intake runner that has a small epoxy patch where they ground through the pushrod bulge. They need just a little touch up in a couple of places, I would say they will flow anywhere between 235 and 250cfm. Heads are ready to bolt on, Comp 995 springs and new valves.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought and ported sets of no.13 and no.48 heads back in the 90's- either set of heads would put my Bird into the low, low 13's on a 400 w/ headers, 2 1/2" duals, TH-350 w/ 2500 stall, 3.08:1 posi.

I recently had PPR go through the no.13's, and it's not cheap to rebuild heads these days. But with RA IV stainless valves, Crower 68405 valve springs, retainers, locks, seals, bronze guides, etc. and my porting I have no doubt these heads will scream.

It does cost close to $1400-1600 to get a set of iron ports to this condition and there is some debate if it's even worth it, versus just getting a set of stock e-heads that flow 280 cfm out-of-the-box. But if you port them yourself you can take $600-700 off of that price, and that makes it more reasonable when compared to the e-head alternative.

Geno