Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default VFN Formula Hood??

Hi,

My first post this is a great forum can't believe it took me so long to find it! I'm working on a 1970 Esprit project. Just picked it up and really am just going to bite the bullet and get the body and paint done first. Would like to do a formula hood which seems to be pretty hard to find in decent shape on the west coast.

VFN has a hood the vents in the cowl are not open, the ram air vents are not open but can be. About 600 to my door. I know thier late model stuff is good but has anyone had any experience on the formula hood? Any other sources, I emailed Anvil and have not heard back from them although I think the prices are going to be quite a bit higher...

Thanks,

Bobby

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Hi Bobby & welcome to the forum.

I bought a VFM formula hood years ago & it really was nothing like a factory hood. It would have taken a lot of work to make it look right to open up the scoops. Even then there was no real way to get the air cleaner to hook up to the scoops.
The cowl vents would have been a nightmare to get to look right if you wanted then opened up. I never used it & sold it years later.
It was way lighter though & would look fine on a race only car. The one I got was the one that would bolt up to the hood hinges. The one that used the hood pins was way lighter but definitely wouldn't pass for a stock looking hood.
There was a place that was making them for us from carbon fiber that I saw the pics of that looked great. Was it Anvil? I don't remember but it was posted here in this forum.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70UglyBird View Post
Hi,

My first post this is a great forum can't believe it took me so long to find it! I'm working on a 1970 Esprit project. Just picked it up and really am just going to bite the bullet and get the body and paint done first. Would like to do a formula hood which seems to be pretty hard to find in decent shape on the west coast.

VFN has a hood the vents in the cowl are not open, the ram air vents are not open but can be. About 600 to my door. I know thier late model stuff is good but has anyone had any experience on the formula hood? Any other sources, I emailed Anvil and have not heard back from them although I think the prices are going to be quite a bit higher...

Thanks,

Bobby
Where abouts are you located?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

Exil, thanks for the feedback...bummer.. I don't really care if its functional but I'd like it to at least appear "like stock".

I'll have to check out the Anvil its more money but sometimes you get what you pay for...

2Many Ta's I'm in Portland Oregon, I see hoods for sale everywhere pretty cheap and some on ebay but no one willing to ship and even then unless it was a well known parts guy\forum I'd have a hard time buying one without seeing it first...

Thanks again!

Bobby

Old 04-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Call Tyler or Matt at Anvil they'll set you up with a Carbon hood

Old 04-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the VFN TA hood and it is a nice fitting hood. My gaps are good and level with the fenders. I only have one minor complaint and one large complaint. Minor complaint is that there were a lot of surface imperfections in the hood. Nothing some glaze and a fair amount of blocking didn't take care of. My major issue is underside of the cowl area where the vents should be. It is too low and my wiper arms don't fit. In fact, I bought some PTF body G-braces and the hood doesn't fit over those either. The area is completely hollow so I will need to modify it to clear both.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1685680874.html
Might want to talk to this guy, you never know...

Old 04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say be patient and keep an eye on Craigslist.

I'm sure it varies around the country, but I believe I could buy 10 Formula hoods a year at less than $150 per hood (but I'm in the rust belt, where Formula hoods lasted longer than the cars they were originally attached to...).

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1685680874.html
Might want to talk to this guy, you never know...
Gotta love the internet! Already have talked to that guy! The catch is he only wants to sell the front clip together and he wants close to a 1k for it. I am going to go take a look next week and if the hood and front valance are good in person I'll probably take them him up on it and try to sell the fenders, nose etc... Thanks for looking out!

Bobby

Old 04-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70UglyBird View Post
Gotta love the internet! Already have talked to that guy! The catch is he only wants to sell the front clip together and he wants close to a 1k for it. I am going to go take a look next week and if the hood and front valance are good in person I'll probably take them him up on it and try to sell the fenders, nose etc... Thanks for looking out!

Bobby
Hey Bobby,
Be sure to ask him about the Myan ruins across the street in the second pic

Old 04-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah I don't know what that is all about.....Sure would have to pay attention when mowing the lawn!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Ya know what they say, "one mans castle is another mans tomb or pyramid"