Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Rear Installed

I installed my new Ford 9" rear and the new R.A.R.E. rear suspension kit they now offer for 65 and up fullsize cars. The rear suspension kit is quality made and fit perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0085.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	203138   Click image for larger version

Name:	CATALINA Rear Suspension Kit.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	203139  

Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh man, That looks sweet. Wish they'd come up with something like that for us older '62 guys. I already have their rear upper/lower control arms. Love 'em, but the "kit" you have there looks really groovy.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That really is an incredible looking piece. Combined with that rear I can only imagine how satisfying the result is going to be - especially behind that trans set-up you have.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was hoping somebody was gonna do this. That is a great looking setup. I'm doing a 67 GP and have been thinking hard about this since it became available. Glad you posted this. Man, that looks really good.

Alan

Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T5 Cat View Post
I installed my new Ford 9" rear and the new R.A.R.E. rear suspension kit they now offer for 65 and up fullsize cars. The rear suspension kit is quality made and fit perfectly.
Looks great.

Do you know what modifications had to be done to the Ford 9" (did it have to be narrowed, etc) - or - more specifically, what would it take to use one of these on a '63?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Looks great.

Do you know what modifications had to be done to the Ford 9" (did it have to be narrowed, etc) - or - more specifically, what would it take to use one of these on a '63?

K
Keith, I called Moser last year and asked them if I sent a 65 fullsize housing to them if they would make me a 9" rear for my 65 Cat, they said "no". So, a couple of months ago I took the housing to a top-notch chassis shop here in my area, Joe Timney's Delaware Chassis Works. Joe does a lot of business with Moser. Joe called Moser and they said they would do it. I got the finished rear back in less than two weeks, too. I guess they need the business now because of the poor economy. Moser copied the stock measurements and angles, etc. They used my stock housing ends and brackets, I can use stock Pontiac wheel bearings and brakes. And, it fits perfectly. Heres some pix of the finished housing. Bob.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0317101921a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	203337   Click image for larger version

Name:	0317101923.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	203338  

Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
Oh man, That looks sweet. Wish they'd come up with something like that for us older '62 guys. I already have their rear upper/lower control arms. Love 'em, but the "kit" you have there looks really groovy.
Thanks, it fits well and makes a big difference in how the car handles and accelerates under full power. Bob

Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bruce, I took it out today to puts some miles on the rear. The 3.89 gears and the taller 255/70/15 rear tires work great with the Gear Vendors unit. It launches hard and straight ( as a retired police chief, that's all I'll admit to ) Bob

Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryka View Post
I was hoping somebody was gonna do this. That is a great looking setup. I'm doing a 67 GP and have been thinking hard about this since it became available. Glad you posted this. Man, that looks really good.

Alan
Alan, do it. The kit is worth it's price.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Keith, I called Moser last year and asked them if I sent a 65 fullsize housing to them if they would make me a 9" rear for my 65 Cat, they said "no". So, a couple of months ago I took the housing to a top-notch chassis shop here in my area, Joe Timney's Delaware Chassis Works. Joe does a lot of business with Moser. Joe called Moser and they said they would do it. I got the finished rear back in less than two weeks, too. I guess they need the business now because of the poor economy. Moser copied the stock measurements and angles, etc. They used my stock housing ends and brackets, I can use stock Pontiac wheel bearings and brakes. And, it fits perfectly. Heres some pix of the finished housing. Bob.
Interesting. Thanks for the follow up!

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It launches hard and straight ( as a retired police chief, that's all I'll admit to ) Bob

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Very, very nice...impressive! Stock width? Don't think I would have been able to resist narrowing it a little! Those control arms and sway bar from RARE do look quality as well.

You mentioned 3.89(!) gears, what differential did you go with?

That Gearvendors overdrive, does the driveshaft use a Turbo 400 yoke and U-joint on the front end, and a Ford U-joint at rear? Were any u-joint\pinion angle corrections necessary?

Any photos of the Gearvendors unit installed? Would love to see the drivetrain from the trans back!!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks very nice. I too have a Ford 9" in my 66 with 3.70 gear and a Detroit Truetrac. I did the same thing by taking it to a local shop and had them jig up the factory housing, cut the brackets and spring perches and weld them to a 9" housing. Fits right in place and works perfectly.

Quick questions about yours, do you have equal length axles or did they offset the center section in order for the pinion to be center to the car like the factory one.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The axles are different length and the center section is in the middle and the housing tubes are equal length, like factory. But, the pinion itself is offset slightly toward the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0073.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	203502  

Old 04-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROWHED View Post
Very, very nice...impressive! Stock width? Don't think I would have been able to resist narrowing it a little! Those control arms and sway bar from RARE do look quality as well.

You mentioned 3.89(!) gears, what differential did you go with?

That Gearvendors overdrive, does the driveshaft use a Turbo 400 yoke and U-joint on the front end, and a Ford U-joint at rear? Were any u-joint\pinion angle corrections necessary?

Any photos of the Gearvendors unit installed? Would love to see the drivetrain from the trans back!!
The rear is stock width and uses a Detroit True-Trac. The Gear Vendors comes with a 1350 front yoke. I had a new, shorter drive shaft made with 1350s on both ends.

Here's a link to the thread I had about the GV installtion. I'll find the pix of the installed unit and post them. bob

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588409

Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 PM

Old thread, but I have sourced a stock '66 axle & looking for a 2-3" narrower 9" assembly to do the same RARE install (purchased earlier).

Thank for the info & pics!!