Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr
Default wheel studs change

to have a perfect fit for my wheels, i will install spacers but i need new studs. my 1/2 axles are superior axle and when i replace them, i tried to put new studs (moser 8050) but the knurl seemed to be to big (.480). so i put my stock stud back.

my question is, what is the knurl diameter of stock 7/16 studs, .480 or .472?

thanks

Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Suspended

I cannot help to much but 7/16 is .437, im guessing a .015 to .020 MAX say ,457knurl is alot, but yours is closer to .050 WOW!! .480???

Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr

no, i'm talking about the knurl of the stud, not the diameter of the thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I just went through this today with 1/2" studs, I've figured out a few things that makes installation easier. If your 7/16" studs have a larger surface than the threads just before the knurling starts, this should be the size of the hole in the axle, and it is also the specified diameter of the knurl. so a .472 would have that sized boss not counting the knurling, and a .480 stud would be .008 larger on the diameter of the bolt before the knurling starts. I would clean up the hole where the smooth part of the .480 boss just fits tight in the hole. The hole has to be tight to keep the stud tight on the axle. I used standard wheel lug nuts along with a spacer so I could pull in the studs with the impact. I coated the knurls and the threads with anti-seize paste before drawing them in. Even with a liberal application of the paste, this will still create a lot of heat, and I didn't reuse a nut until it had completely cooled. If you have two people installing the studs, one can operate the impact wrench while the other wacks the back of the stud with a BFH to help drive it in and seat it.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Suspended

when i've try to press the stud with a lug nut (like you sayed but without the impact), the spline knurl start to damage. so i've stop.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Suspended

form yes i understand, thats what i meant your knurl is .480 wow, ok simply meansure your hole dia. for the studs. should be say.460 or close to it.P.S. YOUR GOING TO SEE THE KNURL collaspe for holding,some.