Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Restore or buy new: Quarter Window Assembly

I just got a new PY Catalog last night and noticed something new to me....the '66/67 quarter window assembly's for the doors. Anyone purchase these and how well do they fit?

I'm guessing buying new is cheaper than taking apart the originals and having them restored. But then it goes back to how well the repops fit.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

what is there to really restore on them? when i swapped out my glass in my 66 there really wasnt much to it aside from the little rollers. i think unless you dont have the original or you are wanting the track peices themselve to look brand new stick with factory parts. i guess thinking bout it maybee the northern cars the track could be rusted and corroded but i dont know. all the parts cars ive pulled them from just needed a good cleaning.

not being sarcastic at all when i ask this but do pople really look down in their to see if they have been restored to like new condition at the shows? always kinda thought that was kinda a part that if functiong right, was ok left alone

Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
what is there to really restore on them? when i swapped out my glass in my 66 there really wasnt much to it aside from the little rollers. i think unless you dont have the original or you are wanting the track peices themselve to look brand new stick with factory parts. i guess thinking bout it maybee the northern cars the track could be rusted and corroded but i dont know. all the parts cars ive pulled them from just needed a good cleaning.

not being sarcastic at all when i ask this but do pople really look down in their to see if they have been restored to like new condition at the shows? always kinda thought that was kinda a part that if functiong right, was ok left alone
Never seen a Northeast car that's been attacked by rust have you? Ever try to rechrome something that's been attacked by salt? It isn't fun or easy. It pits and looks like hell. But to restore an original...I have to take the glass out, remove all the weather stripping and then send it out to be stripped/repaired/rechromed. Then you have to hope it comes back nice. Reassemble using original glass, new weatherstripping, etc.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

for some reason i was thinking you were talkin bout the regulator itself.....duh. i didnt even think about the complete ones, yeah that is a decent price considering the work and effort, whats good as you can get the soft ray tinted glass too

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a little confused but that is nothing new. Are you talking about the rear quarter windows or the vent window?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think he means vent window assembly with frame. The Chevelle guys have had them for years. They are the same piece that Pontiacs use, but lots of people don't know it. The only one I've seen had some off brand Asian markings on the glass at the bottom edge.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Door assemblies that have the vent window....sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had D&S metal finishers out of Holyoke, MA refinish some for me and they came back like brand new, I was very pleased and turn around time was excellent.
Tim john---

Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the repo vent window frames back in 2005, and the fit and finish was good. This was just the chrome plated part. I had to swap over everything from the old vent window.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to a Chevelle parts dealer at the Moultrie swap meet and he said to do what Andre did. Just buy the chrome dogleg piece and reuse the rest of your frame. That is what I am doing now.
He said that the complete assemblies were not fitting right and, in fact, he would not sell them.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to UK_66_LeMans

I saw these also. For me if the quality of finish is good then they will be a god send, as the frame on the drivers 1 is shot, and missing all it's glass after a breakin, and the passenger 1 hasn't faired much better and somebody previously decided to replace the glass with perspex???

Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 AM

if it is a driver I would throw the re-pops on. Otherwise, I would restore the original. Paul,s chroming did a very nice job on mine and the repro gaskets out there are decent. But they do require some patience to get installed right. One tip, do it on a warm day and let them sit in the sun for a while. (or warm them with a hair dryer or something). It really makes life go smoother.

The adhesive also tends to set faster but it all seems to go better in the end.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Senior Chief

I have the reproductions on my restored 67, they fit great, work great and "were" problem free. The car is covered 90% of the time and the chrome is starting to show spots. I'm not sure what the correct term is, but as chrome ages it will show spots, blisters, etc...? I will try to buff them out soon, they won't wipe off, so I'm not too optimistic.
Scott

www.PontiacGTOfor1967.com/index