Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Senior Chief

Default Might have placed my last order with PY

I've been ordering parts for almost 7 years from PY. I received a shipment last night. Half the order was on BO. Not a problem; most I was aware of. No where in the order was the 4 speed plug (which I was assured was in stock). But, manifold bolts were included (one digit off of the plug). Also, no spark plug retainers were shown which were also ordered.

Today, I was told that the 4 speed plug was discontinued a long time ago. Why wouldn't the lady I ordered with have known that? I specifically asked for her to check availability. The bolt kit was simply added to the order. PY would be happy to refund my money for the bolts I never ordered; just pack them up, take them to the post office, stand in line, then get a credit from PY...because they don't send return labels for their own mistakes.

Then comes the suggestion..."you SURE you didn't give them the wrong number...." I have always wondered how much mail order companies make from including items that were never ordered because the hassle of return is not worth it for a lot of companies.

For $19.00 (cost of the bolts), its not worth two hours of my time and energy to send it back...because of a PY policy and a PY mistake. I placed my last order.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Administrator

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It's pretty clear that the only logical reason for the lady to tell you the item you wanted was in stock was because she was looking up the manifold bolts part number which was one digit off and was in stock. Why would anybody tell you that a discontinued part was in stock? I appologize for her looking up the wrong part number.

You really think after doing business with us for 7 years, that this mistake should cause you to have placed your last order? Seems a little drastic to me. :(

It's posted in numberous topics here that we moved our business last month and we're still feeling a little bit of the bumps of the move. However, we improving rapidly and when we finish, we'll be a much better company than we were before we moved. I'd ask you to not close the door on us for this one problem.

In the meantime, keep the bolts and we'll give you a refund for them.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mistakes happen. What really matters is the actions that people take to address them. Take a look at the issues documented within this section and the actions taken. If you do, you'll see that PY really does care about each and every transaction.

The pontiac community is very fortunate to have PY and the services that they provide. I guarentee that you'll never get the owner of Classic, Year One, or others to personally handle your issues.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The name of the game is communication. One needs to make it a two way street. If you received an order that was not to your expectation, it is in your best interest to calmly explain that to the vendor (PY) and allow them to rectify the situation for you. Reading both your original post and Chris C's response, I see a clear distinction in approach. Sure, it sucks to be disappointed in an order. I'm sure Chris has been on the receiving end of this many times. No good business will knowingly create a negative situation for a customer - especially one who claims a 7 year relationship.

With all of this being said, I believe Chris' response was contrite and very customer service focused. He expressed his sorrow for your troubles and suggested how to remedy the situation for you. Perhaps it would be wise to reconsider his offer to make it a win-win situation. Once again, I acknowledge your disappointment as I too have received orders in my lifetime that were not as expected. The truer measure of someone's dedication and a better indication of the character of a business is borne out when things don't all go according to plan. Look at how Chris reacted to you with offers to make it right.

I think this is an opportunity for cooler heads to prevail. I advise taking Chris up on his offer and remaining a supporter of his company and the man who provides the forum used to criticize what you did not like about him. That, to me, is the rational response.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)