Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default CD, shop/body manual 70-72

See alot of these on e-bay............anyone that can give a review of these. Junk? Contemplating one here.

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

personally, there's no substitute for the real thing. Paging down on you computer weeding through a pdf file isn't the same as flipping the book open finding the pages. Plus the 40 year old smell of the paper adds to your hobby experience! I bought one of the CD version of the parts and accessories books. Later I found a real one on ebay and even though there was a $100 dollar difference in the costs, I still use the real one every time I need info. I've seen the real service manuals go from $20-40 on ebay all the time.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=197...+gto&_osacat=0

00 Accord
06 GTO
70 GTO
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
personally, there's no substitute for the real thing. Paging down on you computer weeding through a pdf file isn't the same as flipping the book open finding the pages. Plus the 40 year old smell of the paper adds to your hobby experience! I bought one of the CD version of the parts and accessories books. Later I found a real one on ebay and even though there was a $100 dollar difference in the costs, I still use the real one every time I need info. I've seen the real service manuals go from $20-40 on ebay all the time.
I hear y', sometimes there's nothing pressing in the day..............nice to just get lost in one of those big books. I've seen an original on there for $50 or so, reprints for less. They don't hold quite the nostaligia of an original but, what of the quality of these reprint reprod's?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also prefer the real thing, but these electronic manuals are very handy when I'm at work, or when I can't carry the big books around. I usually keep the HUGE books at home, or in the garage.

I put a copy in my laptop and cell phone. So I can look up any information I need, whenever I need to. And no worries about greasy fingers and lost pages!

Quality is very good. All organise in individual PDF's for each section. So you don't have to find your way through the entire manual.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MescaBug View Post
I also prefer the real thing, but these electronic manuals are very handy when I'm at work, or when I can't carry the big books around. I usually keep the HUGE books at home, or in the garage.

I put a copy in my laptop and cell phone. So I can look up any information I need, whenever I need to. And no worries about greasy fingers and lost pages!

Quality is very good. All organise in individual PDF's for each section. So you don't have to find your way through the entire manual.
Agreed!

I have both the CD info and the printed manuals. Each have their place.

It's nice to be able to view and print out just what you need at the time, and not get the printed manual all torn up and filthy.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Next........is a reprinted manual a decent value when quality compared to an original? Or are they disapointments.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, the repros are brand new. So I would say they are better quality than 40 years old manuals! You won't be disapointed, they are good quality. Can't go wrong with a 25$ book. Text and images are clean.

I have an old Fisher body manual from 72. I keep it for the archives only. Compared to my repro, the sheets seems a little bit thinner and flimsier. And they are yellowish. Probably just because it's old and worn...

Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM

I have the CD version and I like it. I agree with everyone else as far as the real thing is always cooler, but as far as being able to get the info you need, you can always print out the entire manual from the CD and have a paper copy. I just bring my laptop into the garage, that way if I get stumped I can come on py fourum : )

Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

I like the CD. I print out the pages I need and then toss when completed.

Paul

Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I purchased the $25.00 photocopied manual. I'm mostly happy with it. The only things I don't like are the pictures, which are photographs in the original, and somewhat fuzzy photocopies in mine. The other problem is the section with schematics. The photocopied versions don't fold out like the original version, making it somewhat difficult to follow a circuit.

Karl

Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
I purchased the $25.00 photocopied manual. I'm mostly happy with it. The only things I don't like are the pictures, which are photographs in the original, and somewhat fuzzy photocopies in mine. The other problem is the section with schematics. The photocopied versions don't fold out like the original version, making it somewhat difficult to follow a circuit.

Karl
Thanks for comment on those.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a US citizen living in Pureto Rico who was photocopying many of the older GM manuals and selling on ebay.

The copy quality was bad, and he himself said the more he copied the worse they became. He didnt use the best paper either.

He got popped big time. I received something from ebay regarding two GM T400 manuals I bought.

I think some of his work may have been bought and copied in the states before binding as he sold loose the larger Service and Body manuals.

Some of the quality of these reproduction manuals are almost worthless if you need to follow a wire schematic or look at certain fastners and where they go.

Might be better to look at them in person at a large car show before buying.

The original manuals are collectible now and can bring decent prices.

I have an old micro fiche file from Pontiac and reader machine...pretty cool.

CD is better, imo once you get the feel for how to navigate it.

Both the CD and PaperBook have their places.

Jeff