Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy Thinking about getting out of my '66 GTO

Story....Found this fairly rust free 1966 GTO in the Want Advertiser back in 1992( I think) and was the first of 50+ callers to respond to the ad...bought it and all the parts this kid had.

Car was in decent shape rust wise for this part of the country. It was apart though....still is. In fact, I haven't done much with it at all except collect a few parts here and there. It might need a patch or two in the trunk. Tail panel, panel behind the rear window, floors, dash are all in good shape. Fenders( 2-3 sets) all need patches. Hood is decent. Have 2 rad supports(one needs some metal twisting) but rust free.

Have the interior(and a replacement set of original interior parts as well.)

Frame is off a '67 Skylark, sandblasted but needs body supports welded in.

Car had no drivetrain. I have several engines that could go in it including a standard bore '73 455 that I have Edelbrock 87cc heads in the box and a performer RPM in the box, comp hyd roller lifters in the box. I have BMR rear suspension, QA1 front shocks/springs, several dashboards(one in the car is a '67 with Rally Clock). So lots of parts to go with the car.

It's Marina Turq. with Turqu interior. Was a 4bbl/4spd car, PS, Rally clock, light group, if I recall what was on the PHS. Nothing special. Has a New England Dragway Class winner sticker on the side glass(holes in the floors for a roll bar too). Again, I bought it apart and it's still apart and sitting on egg crates down on Cape Cod ever since.

Why am I thinking of selling it?
1. I haven't done much with it since then and I don't forsee me doing anything to it in the near or far future.
2. Just had my first child a month ago....nuff said there.
3. I'm almost 37, career wise who knows what will happen with my job....
4. My wife. She is losing her eye sight slowly but surely. She actually makes more than me and if she were to go blind we would lose basically half of our income(which would make it hard if not impossible to stay in our house let alone restore a car.)
5. I have no place to restore a car. I have no garage. My father has a garage but it is occupied with Corvette's and although he likes Pontiac's and GTO's none of his cars are going to be booted out of his garage. (SOMEDAY when both my parents pass, I'm sure if things turn out ok, my wife and I would buy out my brother and sister from their parts of the house but that is too far in the future to think about right now).

I guess I should get down the Cape and start taking some pictures of the car.

I'm depressed......more concerned with my wife's health and mental health and our new baby than any car stuff. I know I shouldn't worry about restoring the car right now since it isn't costing me anything but that extra money if I sold it would help pay down some debt/be a significant part of a wedding/college fund for my daughter.

Sucks.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very sorry to hear about what is happening to your wife. Just a terrible situation. My best to both of you and your new baby during this trying time.

Jim

Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry hear about your situation and your wife's eye sight. Good luck with the sale and our thoughts will be with you and your family.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the car needs far more attention than you can give it. And the cash has more value to you at this point. In your unfortunate situation, Id sell the car with out a thought.

Ive seen your post about your wife when you were selling the Saturn Chris. Im very sorry.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very sorry to hear this about your wife Chris. Thoughts and prayers going out to her and you. If it were me I'd sell it.... like Paul said. Family is more important than a hunk of metal.

Your 66 just happens to be the same color, inside and out, of my first 66 GTO I bought back in 1970. If I had some extra money I'd grab it in a hurry. Boy do I wish I could.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Not an easy decision but I don't have any emotional connection to it. So once I can talk to the old man about it, since he owns half, we'll do something on it. I'll probably try to take as many pictures as I can of the parts I have an put it on here or Ebay.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM

As everyone else has said, I will put your family in my family's prayers. Congrats on the little girl....I had a boy first and he is great then about a year ago my wife gave birth to our little girl....I'm screwed!!! But the Lord will lead you on the path you need to be on. So have faith my brother!

On the GTO matter, there was an interesting editorial in the latest months issue of HPP. He talked about project cars and which one is right for you. He mentioned that just because you may have a car now does not mean that it is the right project right now. So maybe this is the time to get rid of this time consuming project and in a few years when your little girl is ready to get some grease under her nails you can find a more suitable project for your lifestyle.

Good luck and God bless.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBensyl View Post
As everyone else has said, I will put your family in my family's prayers. Congrats on the little girl....I had a boy first and he is great then about a year ago my wife gave birth to our little girl....I'm screwed!!! But the Lord will lead you on the path you need to be on. So have faith my brother!

On the GTO matter, there was an interesting editorial in the latest months issue of HPP. He talked about project cars and which one is right for you. He mentioned that just because you may have a car now does not mean that it is the right project right now. So maybe this is the time to get rid of this time consuming project and in a few years when your little girl is ready to get some grease under her nails you can find a more suitable project for your lifestyle.

Good luck and God bless.
Well said.

I just had this conversation with a good friend of mine. He has a 72 GTO (original ducktail spoiler 1 of 2) and since all the kids came along (4) he has no time for the Goat. Never drives it and its been in his possession since high school. Told me he was thinking of selling it. He use to do the cruise and car thing every weekend.

I told him to hang on to it. He'll never get the car back and the kids are just a couple years away from taking interest. My point is that at one point, weather you sell or not, this hobby will find it way back into your life. For many of us, its in our blood.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul, yea, if I were him I'd keep the '72
Since this car is of no sentimental value to me, I wouldn't have a problem unloading it. There are always other cars out there.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You just may find that by finding the car a new home. You'll feel better about things in general. Sometimes we look at things we've had for so long and never had the chance to finish. And, each time we see it we're reminded of it. So, I just let go of a nice decent Pontiac, and a Hot Rod 62 C10, because I had no time to deal with them. I missed them for about a week, and now I love the extra room. Room in my mind, not the shop. Also, both projects have had more done on them since I sold them, than all the years I owned them. My best to you, and yours.. Mike

Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very sorry to hear about your situation Chris, and only wish you the best. Wait till spring fever hits and sell it. Better to buy on Craigslist, but sell on eBay.

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, I wish that I could do something to help. I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 AM

Sorry to hear about your wife maybe something can be done doctors can do some amazing things and and more every day. As far as selling your car a car is just a car!! and when it comes to your family even a gto is just a car. Hope things turn around for you and yours