Old 12-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Default 1968 Disc brake conversion wheel size Q

I have found an A body donor for a front disc conversion. My question is do I have to give up my 14 inch wheels to have the disc brake setup? I spent a lot of time and energy getting those 14 inch wheels looking really good so I'd hate to start over, but the ability to stop is pretty important too!
Thanks foks

Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you use the factory DB setup and are using factory 14 inch wheels that could have or did come on the car in question, then they should fit. They should fit some (if not all) aftermarket 14 inchers as well. The factory DB setup clears the crappy, generic 14" aluminum slots that are on my car. Soon to be replaced with 15" Ralley II's.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68 Factory discs are the 4-piston variety, similar to Corvette calipers, which are different from the 69 single piston setup. I believe the single piston setup has more clearance, but I have been running 1970 14x7 inch rally IIs on my 68 for some time with the factory 4-piston discs without problem.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went from a '68 power front drum setup with plain steel wheels to a '69 front disk setup. I think I had to get 15 inch Rally 2's to make it work. I was told that some 14" wheels worked with disk brakes and that the inside profile was different. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybike View Post
I went from a '68 power front drum setup with plain steel wheels to a '69 front disk setup. I think I had to get 15 inch Rally 2's to make it work. I was told that some 14" wheels worked with disk brakes and that the inside profile was different. Maybe someone can confirm this.
As stated earlier, the 1970 and up 14x7 rally IIs will work and clear your disc setup.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)