Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default modifications you regret...or would at least do different

got to be lots of things we have done to our pontiacs and later thought better of it. maybe some info in this thread would help someone who is considering an "upgrade". this could include simply "doing it right" like for example doing a rear end swap and then later reading a great tech article that would have saved you time and money.

I got a few off the top of my head...

>should have bought 16in rims so i would have better tire selection.

>should NOT have cut my tailpipes off so close to the body (now i get awful cabin noise).

Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hacked a hole in the dash of my 72 Formula where the ashtray used to be to install an equalizer. Too bad I didn't realize back in 1980 (when I did it) that I'd still have the car today and have to look at that blunder everytime I drive it.

Oh well, at least there is "Justdashes" nowadays...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

modifications you regret...or would at least do different ?

Kept my E-heads and saved about Ten grand, 2 years, plus a lot of time & stress.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Yea, I learned that if it ain't factory, it's trash. Demon carbs....good paper weights, went back to my OE Q-jet (thanks Cliff !)and air cleaner assembly. MSD ignition box...not worth the money,HEI only. There's alot of good information on the webb and alot of misinformation.I try to decipher the two .

Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
modifications you regret...or would at least do different ?

Kept my E-heads and saved about Ten grand, 2 years, plus a lot of time & stress.
clarify for those who don know your story. what did you swap your e-heads for ?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Throwing away all the stock stuff ( back when) I pulled off all of my cars That are now worth alot of bucks!!!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the same thing Steve did, cut my tailpipes off. I had the 3" Torque Tech tailpipes on a 69 Bird. When viewed from the side, you could see those 3" pipes bulging under the 1/4 panel, then they went straight out the back. I didn't like the look. I decided to cut about 18" off the tailpipes, so the ends were now on a 45 degree angle to the ground, just after the rear wheelwell. This was the exact location for a stock 69 Firebird exhaust, so I loved it, plus it kept my 3" system pretty well hidden.

Car became twice as loud in the cabin. Sorry I ever did that. I know I can re-order tailipipes, but it's a $200 mistake I made.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
clarify for those who don know your story. what did you swap your e-heads for ?
CV-1 head project, he's been talking about it for 2 years. PDude developed big power streetable CV-1 combos. Went back to EHeads for his own cars.

My regret if you can call it that is parking my 63 never ending project and thinking I needed a 'real' race car. The reality is, in spite of 10 sec fun, is that it is even more fun to drive a 14sec car to the track, make a few runs, relax and not have to trailer everywhere and buy $8.00 gal gas.

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buying Torque Thrust"D" wheels in place of the 15" Ralley "1" wheels.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Installing a Jaguar six cylinder in an MGA when I was MUCH younger!

Drove it about twice, and parted it out. Difficult to shift when the shift mechanism is 12 inches BEHIND the seat! And the car REALLY had traction issues. Of course the weight ratio was about 80/20 front to rear. Didn't steer well at all.

Oh well, we live and learn, if we live long enough.

Biggest Pontiac mistake was thinking every one else was wrong, and I could get power out of a 301. Before we added the turbo, my 1969 Toyota could spot the T/A first and second and blow the doors off the T/A in the 1/4. After the turbo installation, did have to start the Toyota in second rather than third to blow off the T/A doors.

Oh, and the Toyota was bone-stock except for a transmission change, and someone I know reworked the carburetor.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buying 16" torque thrust for a "driver"... cleaning them sucks. Plus for street / strip application I'd rather have 15". I like the white letters on the side wall... 16" tires don't offer raised white letters???

Junking cars with out stripping them completely - many valuable parts I've just thown away. (many year ago).

Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is something I regret not doing when I should have.

I had an idea where I was going with my build, but never wanted to put a roll bar in it because it is a true GTO. After talking to Jack Gaydosh, he said they can be put in and later taken out and you would never know there was a bar in it.

I know if I go to the track I am going to get flagged for safety.

Should have put the bar in when I was building the car. I know I can still do it but really don't feel like ripping the interior apart.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Giving away the 200+ 8-Track tapes I had back in 1979. And trashing a box full of 8-Track tape players/recorders including a case of blank tapes.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1980s:
Removing Front Sway Bar (so I put a 1 1/4 bar on and forever kept busting the end-links).
Trying an 800 Holley double-dumper carb
Attempted to build the 8V71 Roots Blower for street...could not get the stack-height down.

1990s:
Gave away my 191 head.
PS to Manual Steering. (went back to PS within the year)
Attempted to try a 1050 DOM (whereas the Q-JET was dialed-in perfect)
Sold my SD-455 Q-JET

2000s:
Added Factory AC in 2004 (only to remove it in 2009 due to lack of need//use).

Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Selling my 1967 Schwinn Stingray Fastback to a neighbor for $15 so I could buy a Huffy 10 speed! Oh...wait...

1)Rebuilding an engine from scratch before I was aware of this forum(would have chosen cam differently)
2)Installing a "vacuum canister" to save vacuum for my power brakes.(duh)
3)Attempting to port my 62 heads against better advice(for sale: one 62 head, will throw in 2nd free)
3)Ignoring that "PING" sound I heard when turning the engine by hand(long ratchet at damper nut) after my first cam/timing set change(read: bent valve)
4)Buying an Edelbrock carb.
5)Not centering the front eye bushings in the new rear leaf springs prior to installation.
6)Not having a pan under the tranny when I changed my speedo driven gear.(splash!!)
7)Installing torque convertor without consulting anyone knowledable(HELLO front pump)
8)Not spending the extra $$$ for aluminum when replacing the radiator
9)Attempting to move the vehicle with the brand new fat tires on the rear without enough air in the airshocks and no "road hazard" coverage.
10) Upgrading the engine/tranny a bit at a time without a clear plan(lots of wasted $$ on intermediate modifications that were later changed)

Old 09-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Regrets;
not taking the WC '78 400 block outta my 'bird and letting it sit poorly coverd for ten years.
same as the block with the chrome valve covers.
letting nice tires dry-rot before they wear out.
not going with teflon lined spherical bearings.
Not using my experiance in repairing car paint and going with a metallic paint.
Totaling my first Nissan 200, It was so much cleaner than my current one. Rusty Jones kicks Zeibarts but!

I can deal with the racket of a spherical bearing heavily sprung car, it's worth it. Passengers can't though.

I can deal with the difficulty of cleaning my torque thrusts(actually I don't clean them) Their so much wider and lighter than stock. I'm angry about 15" tire selection choices though.

I'm sure there's hundreds of little thing I've done to. but It's a hobby I love, and I don't mind the errs for learning sake, if not to costly

Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Running a Holley List 3310 Carb for about 4 years. Q-jets ROCK!

Buying Crane roller tip rockers and thinking I was going to feel the HP difference....

'68 Catalina convert. w/ 428, OEM long branch exh, QuadraJet, 3:23 Posi, GP front grille, GP bucket seats and GP tilt.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Putting the battery in the trunk because I thought I had a "race car".
I know there are more, but I don't really want to think about them.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speed Demon.....

Old 09-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Chief

Cutting the water crossover off my factory manifold...I cut off too much and "uncovered' some of the passages in the cyl heads that must be sealed by the intake gaskets...oil drain back.