Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 AM

Default Condensor

Put a rebuilt distributor in the 65 bonnie 2 weeks ago.

Was running smooth, nice, fantastic.

Went to pass on the interstate. POP. SMOKE. SLOWIN DOWN.

Stopped at next exit and started looking for bad wire. Nope. Timing. Nope. (Had timing light in trunk from doing Jim Hands method) Dwell meter and that at house, 8 miles away. Didn't make it.

Mama just got offn work so she came to my rescue. (Mama is wiffey) She took me to town and got new cap, rotor, points, condensor.

New cap and rotor on. Nope.

pPoints in and dwelled. Nope.

Condensor. BINGO!!!!!! Half a turnover she was running.

The rebuilt distributor had points and condensor on it. Did not think they would be bad.

Think I will now carry a spare old one in tool box.

Anyone know of a reason a condenser fails?

Now I gots to go back out, since I screwed with my timing, and get it reset right. Ain't nothing nicer than playing tune-up at 3 am on a South Dakota 2 lane. ( no houses for miles) I offten wonder tho who is leaving the twin blacks so many times in same area. They do leave some nice wide rubber tracks.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the plate that is connected to the condenser's wire short circuited to the condenser's outer can, instantly shorting the 20,000 volts from the ignition coil's secondary to ground, leading to >BANG!<

(BTW, a condenser is technically an electrolytic capacitor)

I would also make sure that the coil is healthy by measuring primary and secondary resistances.