Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Where Do I buy a TH-400 slip yoke?

Hello all:

While working on the 70 GTO, I noticed the TH-400 leaking from the output shaft seal. As this tranny is all new, the sleeve and seal are new, I'm thinking the slip yoke is due for replacement.

Where can I find one of these?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a replacment Spicer part, available at any shop that builds driveshafts and sells drivetrain parts. About $60 last time I bought one, it was for the 1350 u-joint, the smaller unit might be less expensive?.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Cliff, I'm thinking I might just replace the bushing, seal and slip yoke to ensure it's all as good as possible, I really hate leaks!

Do you have to pull the tail housing to R&R a bushing? If so, any precautions?

I'll make a few calls to see about the slip yoke. Any idea of the part number I'm looking for?

Thanks for the help Cliff.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt.....there's a place in Humble that balanced the driveshaft on the '79.......take a look in the Humble Y-pages as I can't remember the name.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that Diamond Automotive on Wilson Rd.? I had a shaft built there but he didn't seem like the sort of guy who carried stuff like that.

I found a few places online, I think I'm gonna call Denny's Driveline on Mon. I ordered the tailhousing bushing, gasket, and seal from NAPA (Never Any Parts Available) and plan to tear it all apart next week. I think there are 2-3 versions so I gotta blow it apart prior to ordering anything, figure another week on the jackstands!

I've gotta drain the slushbox to install that cooler anyway so I'll just chalk it up to good timing.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got my yolk from summit around $75.There are different lengths of yolks.Also some have splines that start right at the inside edge while others have spilnes that start about inch or so in from the edge.At least the ones I have seen were like that.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the tailhousing needs to be removed to install a new bushing. Several different lengths are available for the bushing, the long one provides more support if the housing has enough room for it?.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Goatman, I'm going to blow it apart, measure, then order.

Thanks Cliff, NAPA only showed 1 P/N, so I guess I'll have to make due.