Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default dog owners and property lines

all dog owners behave differently. many do not follow what feel is an unwritten code of conduct. tell me if you think i am out of line.....

one of my neighbors leaves their dogs outside for hours and hours. they have an electric dog collar fence that allows the dogs to run up to within about 3 feet the sidewalk and go crazy on anyone walking by. when i walk my dog i am forced to cross the street or "run the gauntlet" past them. i dont feel like my children and i should be hassled by these dogs as we walk down the sidewalk. isnt the side walk public property ? should i let it go or find a solution ?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think 3 feet is the line where there property starts. I'm not sure how I would handle this. You can't do anything to the dogs since its the owners fault. Are they approachable owners?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

they are on the other side of the hood so i dont know them. i guess for me its as much principle as concern. my young kids walk the dog by themselves and dont like it. i dont like it because i feel its a crappy way to be a dog owner and treat your neighbors.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In our area a dog must be on a leash. period. The dipstick who used to live next door would let his mutt roam around. I would call Animal Control, he would keep getting citations. Finally the dog got killed running in the street. Dumb a$$. You can't fix stupid.

I would see what the local ordinances state. I doubt if an electronic fence is guaranteed to keep a dog from crossing the boundary and attacking someone.

Then there's the weekend chorus...the dog owners put them outside and they all bark all day long. Dog owners suck.

George

Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM

You might check into the local leash laws and then talk to the owners if they seem reasonable, or call animal control. I'm sure that if the dogs ended up biting someone (or their dog or cat) the owner would lose in court, big time.

67 Firebird, 400, 4-speed
69 Mustang 5.0L HO EFI, AOD
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

township says the electric fence is an acceptable restraint. if the dog leaves the property then there is a problem. a case of "someone has to get hurt" before there is action. it better not be one of my kids or there will be 2 people getting hurt !

Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Show up at town meeting and express your concern, especially that the town would get sued because of their policy of "someone needs to get hurt" before preventive action is taken.

Probably a bunch of dog owners on the town council too.

george

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
In our area a dog must be on a leash. period. The dipstick who used to live next door would let his mutt roam around. I would call Animal Control, he would keep getting citations. Finally the dog got killed running in the street. Dumb a$$. You can't fix stupid.

I would see what the local ordinances state. I doubt if an electronic fence is guaranteed to keep a dog from crossing the boundary and attacking someone.

Then there's the weekend chorus...the dog owners put them outside and they all bark all day long. Dog owners suck.

George
Not all dog owners are irresponsible. Mine are inside a 6ft privacy frence in the back yard when they are out. they are IN the house when we leave (even for a few minutes) and i don't let them bark. 1 bark and i go out and stop them. when they go out the front i am with them and keep them in my yard under control.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Not all dog owners are irresponsible. Mine are inside a 6ft privacy frence in the back yard when they are out. they are IN the house when we leave (even for a few minutes) and i don't let them bark. 1 bark and i go out and stop them. when they go out the front i am with them and keep them in my yard under control.
i know they are not all bad. i believe i am one of the good guys. the guy should let them run in his backyard like you do. not in the front yard of his corner lot where EVERYONE in the hood walks by. my hood is circular so many people walk around it. i am surprised no one has complained to him before.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They might have complained and he doesn't care. or that might be why he got the E fence.(they ain't cheep) and IF a dog wants to cross the line it will NOT stop them. Those are for out in the country NOT in the city. Check the ordinances and see what they are and go from there.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little shot of pepper spray should train those dogs to stay away from you and your kids. Just make sure no one sees you.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sleepy: sure, all dog owners are not bad and I commend those that have pets and deal with them appropriately. The thing is, like a lot of things, only the bad ones are noticed.

In my neighborhood tho, ALL the dog owners do the same crap, they put their mutts out to bark some for hours on end. I just don't get the mentality, I live several houses away and the noise bothers me, but it doesn't bother them???????

It's the other morons that give the good ones a bad name.

Enuf for today......

George

Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i keep mine in the back yard with an electric fence attached to the chain link for good measure, thought about putting a invisible fence along the front yards fence so i can put mine in front every so ofter.

luckily mine dont bark unless a stray dog is roaming, then every dog on the block is usually going at it, at least they dont bark at each other tho.

i would use an invisible fence just for putting them in front for a little while and id use it with my front chain link, but i doubt id try to rely on just the electric fence itself, but i doubt theres much you can do about the neighbors dogs until they get loose or bark during the night maybee disturbing the piece

Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Down here we have an nuisance ordinance that covers barking dogs. Maybe you could use that approach with the city.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mine is trained to our lot lines. he will run up to the line and bark at joggers, bikers etc. as they go by on the road (rare). my wife or i do call him back in those instances and he obeys. He's just defending his turf. But, to leave a dog out there doing that with no attempt to stop it is just irresponsible and anti-social. Dogs will break through electric fences, and once they've done it one time, they soon adapt to the shock and do it regularly. I also am in the firm belief that the shock fences worsen a dogs disposition over time, making them a threat. i was torn up pretty badly by my neighbor's dog when i was little. had always been a friendly dog, had an electric fence, one day retrieving a styrofoam glider from their yard, he just wigged on me. I was about 10 at the time. never had a problem playing with him in their yard before that.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I warned my neighbor that if he kept letting his ugly mutt roam onto my property, sh!t on my lawn and intimidate my children, that I had an elegant and simple solution. No calls to the cops, animal control officer or anything like that. I told him that I would treat it like a wild animal and beat its brains out with a baseball bat. He thought I was kidding all the way up until the day that I dragged it's unconscious body onto his deck.

He called the cops, and for a while, it looked like I was going to get into big trouble. Ultimately, I was vindicated and his dog wont even look at me any more, never mind come in my yard. Problem solved. Now if I could just convince him to not let his retarded animal bark outside for hours on end. Too much to ask, I know!

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1200 fps pellet rifle works.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
I warned my neighbor that if he kept letting his ugly mutt roam onto my property, sh!t on my lawn and intimidate my children, that I had an elegant and simple solution. No calls to the cops, animal control officer or anything like that. I told him that I would treat it like a wild animal and beat its brains out with a baseball bat. He thought I was kidding all the way up until the day that I dragged it's unconscious body onto his deck.

He called the cops, and for a while, it looked like I was going to get into big trouble. Ultimately, I was vindicated and his dog wont even look at me any more, never mind come in my yard. Problem solved. Now if I could just convince him to not let his retarded animal bark outside for hours on end. Too much to ask, I know!

damn. you dont f around !

Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I`d ask him to move that electric fence back.....
"usually" (here in Houston) lots start 10' back from the steet ...and 4' of grass, 4' sidewalk, 2' to the prop line...so his property is there...but the dogs should not be right there, they might scare school children walking by etc...normally you`d put the electric fence so dogs stay in the back, but this owner maybe wants the dogs out there to protect from butglaries...they should still be able to move the fence back 10-20 feet...you may just contact him and ask....asnd...how does the mailman get to his house?

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks guys...i will try to talk to him first. i have learned often that is the most neighborly thing to do...