The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Default sanding primer

This is my first paint attempt.

Painted my roof, 65 bonnie, this will eventually get revyneled, it turned out with much peal. After sanding and all. Started on the lower part and had a couple runs in the primer. Sanded the areas by hand, they were very smooth then, 600 grit. Did the rest of the lower body with the 600.

My questions is:

Will this smoother primer finish make for a smoother color/ and clear coating?

Should I maybe lightly sand between the color coats and the clear coats?

Anyone ever use PPG shop line 202 primer then color over that with That duplicolor paint? The kind you just strain into gun and shoot it?

Was gonna use the ppg like the primer, but was shooting the fender wells and such with the premixed paint shop stuff. Decided to do that on the rest. Fender wells came out ok, didnt buff em or anything.

I know you shouldnt mix paints, but I love driving this to Wally world, movies, restruants. You know where the door bangers go also.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default sanding primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnwng View Post
This is my first paint attempt.

Painted my roof, 65 bonnie, this will eventually get revyneled, it turned out with much peal. After sanding and all. Started on the lower part and had a couple runs in the primer. Sanded the areas by hand, they were very smooth then, 600 grit. Did the rest of the lower body with the 600.

My questions is:

Will this smoother primer finish make for a smoother color/ and clear coating?Yes,any orange peel you have in prior coats will telegragh thru to succeeding coats,so the smoother you sand it,the smoother the color and clear coats will be.

Should I maybe lightly sand between the color coats and the clear coats?If neccesary to do so,follow mfg instructions.

Anyone ever use PPG shop line 202 primer then color over that with That duplicolor paint? The kind you just strain into gun and shoot it?If I'm not mistaken,duplicolor is lacquer,and if so,will not have the same durability as base/clear systems.If you are concerned about inter-coat adhesion between the ppg primer and the duplicolor,that probably WON'T be an issue.

Was gonna use the ppg like the primer, but was shooting the fender wells and such with the premixed paint shop stuff. Decided to do that on the rest. Fender wells came out ok, didnt buff em or anything.

I know you shouldnt mix paints, but I love driving this to Wally world, movies, restruants. You know where the door bangers go also.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Thank you.

Since this is just what many term a driver, I am not real worried about a show paint. Just so it looks better than it did from say 20 feet away.

One nice thing is if I find a GTO or Grand Prix the engine/tranny will go right in. BUt the body work will be done by a pro.♠