67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Default front brake conversion

I converted my front drums to discs on my 68 bird. Iam using a power disc master cylinder without a booster, i never put a proportining valve on, and it seems to stop ok. Its been like this for 10 years now. Iam wondering if I should atleast put a proportioning valve or combination valve on. The car originally had manual drums. I put the master cylinder in with the expectation of putting a booster, but never did it. I was thinking of just getting a manual disc master and call it a day, as a booster would just clutter up the engine bay. Does anyone think this would make a big difference, and also installing a combination valve. Thanks in advance, Derek

Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the proportioning valve will help with the front/rear balance. if you slam on the brakes, do the rears lock up? if not, your car is naturally biased to the front and may not be getting enough pressure to the rear. if the rears lock up first, then the pressure should be reduced with a proportioning valve to stop it from happening. the ultimate goal is to never have your wheels lock up; rolling friction is much greater than sliding friction and if your doomed to hit something, it's better to hit it at a slower speed. if you have good pedal feel and are happy with the stopping ability, i would just leave it be (and not let anyone drive it who is not familiar with it).

Old 04-03-2009, 07:30 AM

Thankyou john, I will try that

Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have manual disk brakes that I put on about 20+ years ago and used the prop valve from a 72 Nova with manual disk brakes. I seem to remember that the disk brakes need check valve in the lines to keep the correct pressure on them when not being used and that valve is in the prop valve.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well birdboy68 I can not believe how lucky you are. The PB MC has a shallow fitting that the MC pushrod fits into. This works because the rod can not fall out. The rod for manual brakes can fall out of the PB master. A GM MC for standard brakes has a fitting with a deep indentation for the rod so it can not fall out. Chrysler MC have the same deep fitting for both manual and power brakes

Old 04-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Talking

Ill have to check that rod. Now that youve got me thinking. And I will have to knock on would several times now and hope you didnt jinks me..ha ha

Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM

I mean knock on
WOOD