Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Default Pro-Touring Side-Exit Exhaust:

Anybody try this yet???

Looks cool...reminds me of the factory exhaust on my 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A...Robert

Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried it years ago but ended up scraping the pipes. I'ts pretty easy to do as you just make sure your mufflers end before the end of the subframe and then just turn out there. I was worried that due to the long doors and how close the end of the door and window opening was to the rear wheel that there would be exhaust gas issues coming into the car, but I don't remember there being any. The other issue is that the fuel/brake lines then run very close to the exhaust on the drivers side. I ended up going with a standard exhaust as it really didn't look quite right to me.

Sorry, I didn't realize that pro-touring f-body had a kit, I had made my own.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am planning on doing this, I think I saw a kit once in a magazine, but I dont remember which, it was on a 68 Camaro

I think it was spintech, or something like that

anyways, the exhaust came out of the header went back then the muffler was mounted in front of the rear axle and had the inlet and outlet on the front of the muffler, and the tail pipe would bend almost 90 degrees and exit about a foot in front of the rear tire.

looked like an interesting set up

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran this 2 1/2" on my race car, pretty loud using Bullit mufflers and H pipe, but plenty of ground clearence.
With a little more length, better mufflers and oval tips it'd probably work fine on the street.
Nest time I redo it I'll use oval pipe from the mufflers back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exh.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	160504   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2520.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	160505   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2508.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	160506  

Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I ran this 2 1/2" on my race car, pretty loud using Bullit mufflers and H pipe, but plenty of ground clearence.
With a little more length, better mufflers and oval tips it'd probably work fine on the street.

thats pretty much the set up I want, but I was thinking of going with some borlas or flowmaster 40s

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
I am planning on doing this, I think I saw a kit once in a magazine, but I dont remember which, it was on a 68 Camaro. I think it was spintech, or something like that anyways, the exhaust came out of the header went back then the muffler was mounted in front of the rear axle and had the inlet and outlet on the front of the muffler, and the tail pipe would bend almost 90 degrees and exit about a foot in front of the rear tire.

looked like an interesting set up
This is a copy of the factory exhaust system on the Dodge Challenger T/A...

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out the very bottom picture, This is pretty cool! http://www.ramairrestoration.com/cat...2a0d6b95499a03

D.S.R.E. Your NW Pontiac Street/Strip Engine Builder, Specializing in Cylinder Head,Intake Manifold,and Exhaust Manifold Porting services and Building the Most Efficient stock rebuilds to Hi HP Pump Gas and Race Combinations for Pontiac,Buicks,Olds,FE Fords,385 Series and HP Gen 3 and 4 LS engines!
2006 silvy Z71 4X4,383 LS 600+hp NA
Shared Toy-66 Lemans 470cid by me 537hp 580tq-manifolds, 570hp 590tq-2"headers,custom cam,rpm intake, mild e-heads, Looks stock ;-}
Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
Mine looked very similar to this except it came straight back off the headers (no need to come toward the center as I didn't have an H-pipe) and then mufflers where the dent in the floor pans is and 45 degree angle pipes going out to the side. As I mentioned, it didn't look right to me on my completely otherwise stock looking car and I ended up going with a dual chamber flowmaster behind the rear axle and tail pipes. I'm still debating whether to put the splitter tips I have on...

Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Senior Chief

I was thinking about this setup originally

Man I bet it would be loud with the window open. It would be pretty cool to do an angle cut on it, it would make it look real wide.

Still kicking it around but would rather have the tails come out the rear for noise control and breathing.

hmmm

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Senior Chief

first my apologies for posting F pictures.. I have since sold the car and used the money to purchase a Pontiac.

Anyway it had two 3" pipes from the headers (no crossover pipe) with small dynomax race rite mufflers under the seats or just behind them followed by a bend to the side where the exhaust exits.

This type of exhaust is loud! the engine was a 460 with a little compression and I believe an edelbrock performer cam.. nothing much..

here's with a side view;

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/IMG_0091.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/IMG_0047.jpg

here's two vids;

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=MVI_0018.flv

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=MVI_0012.flv

Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just a note on this system it is an oval pipe to help ground clearance we are setting up a car next week with a 3.5 system so I'll have more pics

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Suspended

I love the pro-touring stuff....

Does that 'G' brace transfer more shock and vibration to the cowling???

Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The G-braces would transfer some road noise in theory but if the suspension is built with limited bind then the shocks and springs will absorb the NVH, but I do get these questions all the time with conserns about the G-braces and solid body bushings causing increase in NVH transmission but if you look at how new unibody cars are built the front frame is welded to the floor pan and fire wall as well as the inner fender wells and many have struts attached to the inner fender not much different than the G-braces, I've had them on my car for 9 years.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the process of building such an exhaust system. I have a `78 Trans Am, which has been lowered 3", so ground clearance is a large issue. The R.A.R.E. side-exit system offers the best ground clearance, but isn't offered in stainless. I'm still working out the details, but it looks like I'm going to build the same oval system R.A.R.E. offers, but in stainless steel for longevity purposes. The two muffler options I'm looking at are the Spintech's (what the R.A.R.E. system uses) or NASCAR boom tube mufflers. The boom tube mufflers are about 1" thick, and offer great ground clearance, but are a bit loud by themselves (may want to run cats or resonators in addition). The mufflers are very expensive new, but can be found used on E-bay for $250 and under for a set. On a non-lowered car, round exhaust tubing will probably offer adequate ground clearance. The areas of concern are muffler case and subframe connector clearance (if applicable).

The major factor is noise. If you've never run a side-pipe/side-exit exhaust system before, error on the quiet side when choosing a muffler since the exhaust pipe will literally be out your door. You will also need to run an X or H pipe to hear the full exhaust tone while driving with a side-exit exhaust. Without the X/H pipe, you will mostly hear the pulses from the driver's side bank of cylinders, which sounds like the vehicle has a dead cylinder IMO.