Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Aluminum Tri Power ?

Guy's,

Is there more than one manufacture of the new aluminum reproduction Tri Powers (1966 version). If so who makes the better / best one and who offers these at the best price. I am in the market for one and would appriciate your opinions. If there is anyone with a used unit I would like to hear from you as well if you are looking to part with it. Thank You.

Tim john---

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got mine from the Parts Place about a month ago.About $40 less than most places.Quality is ok if you're not looking for a concours restoration.I had mine ported by cvms for street/strip use.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Though not "official", I'm pretty sure they all come from the same foundry. They certainly have the same look and "flaws". Overall, an excellent piece. We've had about 12 of them through here over the last couple of years. Ames or PY would be the first choice for a purchase, as they relentlessly support the Pontiac "family".

Jim

Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
I got mine from the Parts Place about a month ago.About $40 less than most places.Quality is ok if you're not looking for a concours restoration.I had mine ported by cvms for street/strip use.
not to threadjack, but ive read the repro RA4/HO manifolds arent too swift, does cvms port those as well?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RMP,

Yes, we do. We port anything...(:- We've done a few F.A.S.T. Class intakes and many of the TriPowers. Go to the website and click on "Services".

Jim

www.centralvirginiamachine.com

Old 02-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

I think there were 2 different makers of these intakes, the one I had was made by a guy out of Florida (U.S. made) However I think he quit making them, and the Parts place came out with there's (China Made) don't know if there the same molds or not, but the quality of the castings finish from the Parts Place is not as good as the U.S made ones!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 tempest pics 054 (2).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	157979  

Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont406 View Post
I think there were 2 different makers of these intakes, the one I had was made by a guy out of Florida (U.S. made) However I think he quit making them, and the Parts place came out with there's (China Made) don't know if there the same molds or not, but the quality of the castings finish from the Parts Place is not as good as the U.S made ones!
I know there were at least 2 different runs of production. I have one from the first batch that Steve from Florida made. I met Steve once, he walked up to my car and as soon as he looked at the motor he recognized his aluminum intake. Most people can not tell it from the cast iron original. At any rate, I recommend CVMS for modding them, definitely made my car quicker. -Jim