Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Removing pressed in studs.

Whats the best way to remove pressed in valve studs. I tried stacking washers and using the 3/8 nut tightening it against the washers to pull it out, but all I did was strip the threads on the nut. Do you need to heat the base up?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

They should pull right out the way you tried- that's basically what the shop manual always said to do, and it's worked for me. Get a better nut, at least grade-8. If you've got some older car parts to search through, find a 3/8-24 nut that's about twice as thick as a normal nut- that's even better.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory lock-nuts work well. The best way is to either buy the stud-puller or take it to a shop that has one. We have one that uses threads and an impact "gun". There are also hydraulic stud removers (big $$).

Jim

Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Press inn stud removal /Pontiac Gregg

You're doing it right, use connecting rod nuts, they hang in there great.
You will be able to pull like 10 studs b 4 you need a new nut. use oil.
Give me your address and I'll send you some.

Pontiac Gregg
1-303-776-0877

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found I only had a couple threads contacted when trying to pull. I was using the factory nut. I wasn't using any oil to lube so that should help. I will use a stronger nut and give it another try. OINK 1, Thanks for the offer for nuts, I already have some laying around, just didn't think about using them.
Thanks everyone for the info, I'll give it another try.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

use a 1/2 inch drive socket for a spacer. A 7/16 to a 9/16 should not be too tall.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally got them. Got grade 8 nuts, used oil to lube, stacked washers with a big 3/4 nut in between as a spacer. When it let loose it would pop with a cracking sound. Then it was just a matter of adding washers and tightening, until it pulled loose. Man there is a little heat put into the nut while doing this and I used a nut for every 2 studs, then got a new one. I tried the socket in between as suggested but either the 1/2 drive socket was too tall the ones that would go over the stud or the right height ones were too small dia. to go over the stud, so I used a 3/4 nut I had laying around.
Now Iam making a tap guide out of 1-1/4 x 2 x 3 A2 tool steel with an alignment pin so I can bolt it in the push rod guide mtg. hole, align with the pin, tighten down and be able to hand tap straight on the bench with 1/2-13 tap, then remove and finish up with a bottom tap. I love it when a plan comes together.
Thanks for all the Help.