Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fuel supply line Questions

Ok Guy's getting ready to tie the fuel lines in and I have some questions about what way to go. The car is a 69 Bird Holley Black pump, stock sumped tank and a Holley 850 Dp. Should there be a supply only, or supply and return? Also what size line and at what pressures are you all running? Also been thinking about what the very best spot to put the pump and filter.I know that most Guy's are putting them in back of the tank but I am looking for a cleaner look. The car is both strret and strip.
Thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Suspended

All depends on witch regulator you are using. I have a 67 gto, i had to run a return line and prefer it that way, Did not like idea of extra fuel under pressure in the lines so i used one with a return line.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's the regulator that comes with the Holley Black. I bought the set up used from another member. So is it better to run a return? I want to set it up the right way the first time so if needed I will get a differant regulator....

Old 02-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This regulator can be used as a dead-head (non-return) or as a bypass (return) by changing the plunger:

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...regulator.html

Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Rob!

But what I was wondering is what would be best for a street strip car like mine?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm running the stock regulator and dead heading the system, Wheelspin is running a regulator with the return line - we both have the new Holley black pump. His pump is much quieter than mine at idle.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm these things are noisy so maybe it's better to return to the tank? What size line does the return have to be?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another advantage of a return style over a dead-head is the fuel tends to be cooler.You should run the same size return as the feed.If your changing it I would use 1/2",that way if you step up later you won't need to change it.On my son's street Firebird I used 1/2" aluminum feed and although not correct,I used 3/8" return to save space and money.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use at least the same size return as you use for the feed. Some of us have had mysterious high pressures after the bypass regulator that didn't go away until after we increased the return line size. My drag car is running a Mallory 250 fed by 1/2" aluminum line and did have -8AN (1/2") return hose - I couldn't get the pressure lower than 8 PSI. I went with a -10AN (5/8") socket-less return hose and the pressure could be dialed down below 3 PSI.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What regulater do you recamend?Hmm I wonder if I will have issues if I run the supply from one side of my sump and return to the other?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust View Post
Hmm these things are noisy so maybe it's better to return to the tank? What size line does the return have to be?
Feed line size is determined by the horsepower the engine makes. Return line size is determined by the size of the pump. Open the instructions at the bottom of this page for details on how to size the lines:

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...regulator.html

Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust View Post
What regulater do you recamend?Hmm I wonder if I will have issues if I run the supply from one side of my sump and return to the other?
If you do run a return style,the return line should extend inside the tank to as close to the bottom as possible to prevent aeration. I used a Mallory regulator on my son's street car because it came with the Mallory pump. Any return style should work and RobbMc's looks like a very nice piece.