Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Default front lift

Hi guys i have completed changing my motor and tran., now with the weight diff. i am sitting a little low,what is best way to pick it up 1/2 inch, what about a set of gas shocks?
thanks joe

Old 11-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You never want to put gas shocks on the front it will ride to rough. I really wouldn't worry too much over only a 1/2". You need to replace the springs to correct ride height. Depending on what you have now as far as spring rate, are they old springs?

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 11-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why would gas shocks add lift to a vehicle? The type of shock has nothing to do with ride height, unless you're talking coil-overs or air shocks.

They do make a few different, very effective coil spring boosters.

http://gmostore.gmotion.com/store/me...e=coil_springs

Just remember that using these devices will increase the spring stiffness, so you'll get a harsher ride. I know a lot of people that use these boosters because of unforseen headers/ground clearance issues, and these boosters are a quick fix. Actually, they solve 2 problems. They add 1/2"-1" of ride height, but because of a stiffer ride, there's less of a chance of flattening your new header tubes. Check Pep Boys, AutoZone, Murray's, etc. I think they all carry these things.

Of course, the correct way is to get the right springs, but sometimes people change tires/wheels back and forth, and these devices are a good way to play with ride height without having to pull springs.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To gain the 1/2", try Energy Suspension Part #9.6101. It's a rubber isolator for a Toyota Rav4, and installs on top of your spring. Should be just what you need. For shocks I'd recommend Bilsteins, but if you're looking to save a few bucks the KYBs are decent, not exceptional by any means.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Default front lift

thanks for all the replies, i like the ideal of the spring booster reason being i plan to go to 15inch wheel later on, but will thay stay in,i try these years ago and thay pop out.
joe

Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I do when putting springs in with the upper insulator is wrap it up good to the spring with electrical tape. It really helps when trying to get it all together and not having the insulator shift out of place.

fine 65 are you talking about the metal turn in boosters? the ones that mwritter is talking about is a rubber coil that sits on top of the spring. I don't suspect it coming out once it's all installed. I suspect it would replace the factory spring insulator at the top.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 AM

Default front lift

the turn in booster,mike or anyone have you try these? will thay stay in place, those would be a easy fix for me now and easy to remove later.
joe

Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Chief

the twist in boosters are garbage and ruin your ride they are for the cheapest cheap skates who like to do things incorrectly. I would call them emergency boosters or to use to find the ride height you want to try to achieve, but not for long term

Heck if you had a 6 cyl in it with the orig springs and just put a V8 in it then spend the 80 bucks or so on some new front springs for a V8 car and you will be right where you want to be.

DO it right the first time this is small chump change spent to give you the proper outcome.

And don't use gas shocks on the front? HUH?

They most shocks are gas charged, some are nitro cell depends on what you are looking for in ride if you were not supposed to use gas shocks on the front of your car then most of the cars on the road need to be removed from the road

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you consider r&i springs to replace the insulators an easy fix than do the same job later down the road again just to remove them . I would replace the springs now for the work involved. It's not really a hard job, just alot of work and time consuming for most especially if you don't have to much experiance on suspension work.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Default front left

thanks for all the input,i replaced the front shocks with a set of monroe sensatrac and a set of twist in spring booster,not only do i have the correct height , it handle like a dream.