Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Evac plumbing

Has anyone ever plumbed their evac to the fuel pump block off plate? and if you did were their any problems doing it.... like to much windage in the timing cover and it was sucking to much oil. My thinking here is to suck those nasy blow by fumes right out of the crank case, and not through the motor by plumbing into the valve cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evac.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	148228  

Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that the guys at BOP were developing a device that mounts on the fuel pump location just for that purpose. I believe there testing indicated it pulled too much oil so the adandoned the project.

Tim C

Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i run a #12 to the top of the rh valve cover to the pump. there is also a #12 line running from the front of the rh cover to the fuel pump block off. over 200 nitrous passes and not a drop of oil in the tank.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 467 isn't a race motor nor am I running a vacuum pump, but I've ran a vent(small ricer breather) off of my fuel pump block off plate for years with no vents in my sheet metal valve covers. Have the vent mounted vertically off of a 2 inch piece of 5/8 tubing. No issues with oil running out of the vent and I spin this motor up 6,500 regularly.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to BobDef1

make sure its vented properly and doesn't pull more than 16-18 lbs or you will suck your wrist pins and bearings dry. ask me how i know. had the vent in the fuel pump block off it got clogged sucked the oil pan into the crank and cost me new bearings clean up and alot of time thank god no other damage. was a new 535 IAII block 3 runs. so make sure your vacum is set correctly at max rpm. the pump added over 25 hp to the motor. there are safety valves you could use recommend one made by cerelli comp engines paterson nj

Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the one i just orderd From Tin indian performance including the rest of the system minus the braket witch you need to make yourself: it wil suck the prsure away tru the valve covers , no need for breathers but screw in Bungs.. its for my long distance racer.

Manufactured from 6061-T6/651, aluminum, hard anodized and Teflon coated, this pump was designed to be small, light, reliable and efficient. Star's standard Pump will out flow and produce higher peak vacuum than any racing pump with a comparable chamber size. Star's intake and exhaust positions and internal porting are key to this pumps efficiency. The intake and exhaust ports are placed tangent to the rotor and are (internally) configured differently. While Star's competitors pumps are designed (and their efficiency compromised) to be run in either direction (cw/ccw) without changes, our pump must be disassembled and turned around. Our unique one piece shaft/rotor is proven to be lighter and more reliable than 2 piece (steel/aluminum) designs which are prone to fastener failure and key/keyway wear. The rotor bearings are mounted outside the pump chamber with an additional seal on each bearing. This additional seal is required to achieve maximum vacuum potential and to eliminate the grease in the bearings from being "sucked" into the pump. The pump housing , rotor and end cap have been hard anodized to eliminate wear then Teflon coated to reduce friction. All mating surfaces are o-ringed and secured with stainless hardware. Star's intake/exhaust plate can be configured for -12 AN or 3/4" dia. slip on fittings. In addition our regulator is mounted to this plate, eliminating the need to place (cut/weld) a regulator receptacle (bung) somewhere else on the engine. There are two major benefits to mounting our vacuum regulator directly to your pump. First, when the regulator set point is reached, ambient air is drawn directly into the pump helping it run cooler! And the other, by placing the regulator "outside" the crankcase area, the excess air the regulator is bypassing will no longer be passing thru the engine to the pump. It now flows directly into the pump, reducing the possibility of oil being scavenged from the engine. (mass: as shown with 36T aluminum pulley, reg. and AN fittings 1400g/3.08lbs.; with 36T composite pulley, reg. and AN fittings 1320g/2.91lbs.; with 24T composite pulley, reg. and AN fittings 1270g/2.80lbs.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StarMachine_vac%20pump.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	148318  

Old 11-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Senior Chief

Default NSS CF/X

I am going to buy a evac. pump for my setup. Any suggestions on which pump is the best(less maint & etc.). I am going to buy the setup from Tin Indian, because of all the brackets are ready made.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The above is the best!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief468 View Post
I am going to buy a evac. pump for my setup. Any suggestions on which pump is the best(less maint & etc.). I am going to buy the setup from Tin Indian, because of all the brackets are ready made.
I run the pump from GZ Motorsports. It's been on the car for 3 seasons, about 450 passes. I bought the mandrel setup from Tin Indian and had GZ credit me for theirs in the kit.