Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 console fit

Does the console sit dead center of the car? Directly under the center of the ash tray? I am replacing my console with the correct one along with buckets and carpet. So I have everything out of the car. the front bracket seems to sit about an inch to the left(driver side) of center of ash tray. Is this right or is the bracket in the wrong spot? The car has been molested over the years and I don't know if what I have is in the right spot.

When trying to install a dual gate shifter, the shifter seems to not be sitting square with the hump. It could be a mounting hole problem. I'd hate to have to try and bend the shifter back into square.

Ant help, ideas and pics would be great

chris

Old 10-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the shifter swap on my '68 and I'm pretty sure it's all centered on the hump. I can check today and post again. The brackets are fairly thin strips of metal welded to the hump and may have gotten tweeked to one side over the years. I used a '69 type console and the screw holes on the console mounts did not line up exactly like the '68 console that was originally in the car so if your console was not the one originally installed in the car at the factory it may just be slight differences in the assembly process.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if it's been modified, especially if buckets were added to the car, don't screw around trying to center it up without first throwing the seats back in. it's a wee bit tight in there and a half inch can make a difference. Make it easy on yourself, put the seats in and then center the console between them.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The back brackets are welded in. They seem to be right. the front bracket is screwed in and it is the one that is off to the driver's side about an inch. The holes for the screws look factory, there is even a hole under the raised portion that the front of the console screws to as if not to let the mounting screw bottom out. If you look at the front bracket from behind the car(it's a conv.) the portion of the front bracket that attaches to the console is not centered under the ash tray. I'm assuming that the ash tray is the center of the dash.

I can move the front bracket if needed, I'm just trying to find out if the console should be centered under the ash tray.

A pic from the back seat of a car with console would be great. preferable a 68

thanks,chris

Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

I recently did the column shift to floor shift conversion in my '70 and I happened to have this picture that I took during the process. Maybe it will help.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	console-shifter-setup 012.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	145733  

Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's one of my '68 after I installed the '69 console and dual gate shifter. The '69 console mounted in the same brackets the '68 was in originally. Looks like it's centered on the hump but not on the ash tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05085.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	145751  

Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks for the info guys.

Shineybike that's how mine looks. I guess the ash tray isn't center of dash. That makes life a little easier. Why did you go with the 69 console? wood grain look? I'm taking out my 69 console and putting in the 68 for a change. Only thing I don't like is the rounded off front. no place to put anything.

chris

Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My original console had some missing vinyl on the back facing the rear seat. I held out for a long time looking for a very nice original red console but they don't come along very often. In the end I found a tan '69 and dyed it red. I still have the stock one so if I ever decided to do a serious restoration I could get it recovered. I do like the wood-grain too. Nice '68 consoles come along now and then but they usually are black and I figured it would be tough to dy one red.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

makes sense to me. Fortunately my interior is black so parts are fairly easy to find, unfortunately it gets a little warm in the summer.

I got another question I was trying to get my dual gate set in the correct place and it seems that the shift cable is holding it down, as if the cable is too short. the cable won't let the shifter come up to level. Is there two different length cables? Or is there a specific cable for the dual gate?

Car has a th400 and had a 69 3-speed shifter in it before which weren't correct but seemed to work and look fine.

I didn't have time to take out the existing cable to measure. I also wanted to make sure that there is another cable to compare too.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 68 console is to the left too auto , vert.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

Try checking with www.shiftworks.com - that's who I ordered my shift cable from when I installed the dual-gate in my car.

Scott

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When i switched from an ST-300 2 speed auto to the TH 400 and H & H shifter I found that the cables were different lengths. If I remember right the 2 speed one was a little longer. I still have not gotten things set just right so I can not manually shift into 1st gear. I think I need to oval out the holes on the cable mount in order to move it back slightly. Works fine when driving in regular automatic mode in drive.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PY should have all the parts that you will need.