Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Stripe Thoughts and Opinions???

I have a 69 with the correct Judge stripes installed. The car is NOT a judge. So, if the car didnt have the kit installed I would not of done it, however it does look nicely done. My options are;
1. leave it alone
2. remove the 'Judge' from the front fenders and spoiler.
3. Remove the stripe and the Judge, basically returning the car back to what it was.

Now I may open myself to some paint damage if the decals do not come off cleanly, but I suspect they have not been on that long, (2-3 years)

What say you guys????

Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think they look good - does your car have a spoiler?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:53 PM

Yes, the car has the correct spoiler along with the hood tach. Please dont flame me on the PONTIAC script on the trunk lid, a prior owner thought it looked good? WTF, he/they even drilled a couple holes to mount it! That will be a winter project, removing the emblem and repainting the deck lid. It is one of those things that really drives me nuts, knowing the pontiac emblem is so out of place and wrong!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Leave it alone, You have A very nice looking car.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were mine I'd ditch the judge decals and keep everything else the same.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

use a heat gun to carefully remove the decal
If you dont have one borrow a hair dryer.
Lil chisler or plastic razor blades will get under it while soft.
rapid tac makes some good remover products to get the adhesive off.
If you request a sample they will send you a small bottle.
I would leave the rest of car alone...looks good

Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
If it were mine I'd ditch the judge decals and keep everything else the same.
So are you suggesting removing the 'Judge' and retaining the stripe?

Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Chief

Your car looks very nice. I would leave it asis. If its the not being a real judge that bothers you take off just the judge stickers as the strips could have been dealer installed. If you like it the way it is just be honest when someone asks if its a real judge. After all its your car as long as you like it who cares what the others think.

06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run the stripes only on my 69 convertible, the stripes were made for accenting the body regardless of tempest/lemans/gto/judge trim package. I held back from the Judge emblems themselves to save the headache of "is it a real one?" but did it more for the look of the car. There's no comparison between my before stripe and after stripe pictures, leave them on. depending on how long they've been on and also how soon after paint they were applied, you may have some adhesive damage to the finish as it could have eaten in. Friend of mine had racing stripes on his car for a few years, when he took the decals back off his paint looked melted under there and had to buff the hell out of the finish to make it decent (you could always see where the stripe was though)

Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karfever View Post
So are you suggesting removing the 'Judge' and retaining the stripe?
Yep! I like the stripes alot, in my opinion the judge decals are kinda cartooney looking.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were mine, I'd leave it as is. I think you'll always be able to see where the stripes and decals were. I guess you just have to answer to yourself if having the judge appearance is what you want.

BTW, Is that color code #63 (Champagne)? Mine car was originally a 63/63 car.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

leave stripes, take of JUDGE. Great looking car too.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
If it were mine, I'd leave it as is. I think you'll always be able to see where the stripes and decals were. I guess you just have to answer to yourself if having the judge appearance is what you want.

Yes it is a #63 paint code. I would of rathered the interior been black, as the gold is a real PITA to match replacement trim etc. I have used a quart of dye so far to match some replacement hard plastic pieces.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post

Forgot to mention, I was looking at the PHS and codes, it came as a code 63 paint with a fawn v-top. Probably way too much gold/tan combo for me, so I am glad the top was replaced in black. Sold new in Tennessee.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

even if you left it as is the average idiot wouldnt know its not a judge, I would just remove the judge badge leave the rest, looks good

Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just as an aside on the trunk emblem:if you remove the script,you will have holes to close up.That color could prove somewhat difficult to match,especially if you don't know the mfgr of the paint the car was originally shot with(best yet would be to have some leftover paint)In other words,if the car was painted with brand X and you buy brand Y,it may not match 100%.Two small holes could turn into a somewhat extensive repair if you have to blend in the color on the deck lid and then clear the whole lid(which you should)I would buy a pint of color and practice on a couple of panels,varying gun air and fluid pressure,and how far away you hold the gun,# of coats,etc,until you get an exact match.remember,the color usually gets darker while it dries and after you clear it.In addition,if the car has spent the last 2-3 years in florida(where you posted from)and a good portion of that time was outside in the sun,it is a same assumption that after you remove any of the decals, you WILL see where they were,and it probably won't buff out 100% because it will be a slight difference in color,not gloss.Hope this helps.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint guy View Post
just as an aside on the trunk emblem:if you remove the script,you will have holes to close up.That color could prove somewhat difficult to match,especially if you don't know the mfgr of the paint the car was originally shot with(best yet would be to have some leftover paint)In other words,if the car was painted with brand X and you buy brand Y,it may not match 100%.Two small holes could turn into a somewhat extensive repair if you have to blend in the color on the deck lid and then clear the whole lid(which you should)I would buy a pint of color and practice on a couple of panels,varying gun air and fluid pressure,and how far away you hold the gun,# of coats,etc,until you get an exact match.remember,the color usually gets darker while it dries and after you clear it.In addition,if the car has spent the last 2-3 years in florida(where you posted from)and a good portion of that time was outside in the sun,it is a same assumption that after you remove any of the decals, you WILL see where they were,and it probably won't buff out 100% because it will be a slight difference in color,not gloss.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips Paintguy. Actually I planned on painting the entire deck lid to avoid a 'spot' repair. I doubt if the color will be exact, because as you are well aware temp/humidity and gun pressure alone can make a metallic hard to match, much less having the correct mix and paint manufacturer to start with. I just cannot stand the Pontiac emblem, it bothers me everytime I walk to the rear of the car. When I bought the car I had hoped it was affixed using tape, but of course one cant be that lucky. The paint overall it just a bit better than driver quality, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

I am going to leave the stripe and test removing one of the Judge emblems to see what might happen relative to paint appearance.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 PM

Sharp car.

If it were mine the JUDGE stickers would be gone and the stripes would stay.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let no man judge you, least he be judged.

Hey its your car, make it the way you want it. I think it looks great. Wouldn't change a thing. If someone questions the Pontiac emblem in back just say you added it cause you thought it looked better! That will shut them up.

If you try to remove things you can open a can of worms.

Drive it the way it is especially with the new movie coming out this Friday!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karfever View Post
Forgot to mention, I was looking at the PHS and codes, it came as a code 63 paint with a fawn v-top. Probably way too much gold/tan combo for me, so I am glad the top was replaced in black. Sold new in Tennessee.
I hear ya, most of the (champagne) interior pieces that I have have turned sort of a baby crap yellowish-goldish-greenish color. I still have some items, if you are if need of something in particular, PM me and I'll see if I can find it amongst the many boxes I have everything in. My car is down to a rolling chassis with a empty body attached right now.

Mine's going black stock looking interior and a non-standard color exterior when I get to it.