Old 10-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Default TH400

Is there a relatively simple way to determine if an engine has been recently rebuilt without disassembling it?

Would pulling a valve cover and inspecting the rockers and springs for long term gunk be an accurate indicator?

Seller is telling me that the rebuild occurred about 1,500 miles ago.

Thanks, all!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Senior Chief

Q1: Not that I am aware of.

Q2: Would be evidence but not proof. Could be rebuilt head on an old short block.

Ask to see receipts, particularly a receipt from a machine shop because some people call putting a new set of ring in an engine with 150,000 miles on it without any machine work a rebuild.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:59 PM

"Ask to see receipts, particularly a receipt from a machine shop because some people call putting a new set of ring in an engine with 150,000 miles on it without any machine work a rebuild"

Agree,
some people think just putting on new head gaskets is a rebuild

Old 10-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Do you see any leaks or oil, Pull the dip stick out and see how clean it is with no tarnish.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Thx for the replies.

The seller seems like an Honest Abe in all respects, except that he cannot locate the machine shop receipt, though he vows it was a $3,600 job.

Dip stick looks pretty darn clean--was just hoping for another (relatively) simple way of double-checking.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM

How did he pay for it? I would doubt it was cash. Check , credit card? Should be able to come up with something. Which shop did he use? Should at least be able to remember that. When he tells you the name you can call them and they may be able to describe what they did and/or have records of it.
I called a shop about a 3 year old rebuilt motor and they vaquely remebered it. I told him the aprox date it was done and he checked his records and was able to tell me about the complete rebuild. It was really helpful.
You don't need to tell him you don't trust him but just want specific details to what was done & how it was done.
Greg