Old 10-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trunk Lid fit, revisited... advise needed.

Now that I am finally getting back to my 68 restoration, I am back to an old problem. The trunk lid fits low on the hinged corners. The right side is worse than the left. I know the car didn't have any shims between the lid & hinge when I first took it apart, but I also don't have the original trunk lid anymore either. To make it look correct, I want to tweak the hinges & I am wondering if anyone has done this before. I was thinking of placing a portapower in the trunk & seeing if they will bend. Not sure at this point, so I wanted to get advise from those who have done it.

Also, I remember reading about another member having fitment problems because there was no trunk seal installed. Could this amount to much?

Thanks, 68 RT

here was the original posting: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ight=trunk+fit

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to have the seal in place. If you can, post some pictures with it closed.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home. I wonder if its possible to find a used seal to put in for now. I will be installing all new weatherstiping when the car is painted, but would hate to ruin a new one durring the body work phase.

68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can install the seal temporarily, just don't glue it in place & it should give you an idea how the alignment is. Unless the car had some serious sheet metal damage at some point I'd hold off bending the trunk hinges, the fit may go from bad to worse once you start doing that.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found the issue!

After looking at it close tonight, I realized there is just no way the hinge could be bent. However, I did install new quarters & had the whole body media blasted. I soon realized there really isn't much that holds the edges of the quarter where it meets the trunk. ( were the seal is instaled) It was the body that was too high, not the trunk being low. & that bends really easy too.

I think I will buy one of those chaep ebay seals to throw in there before I finalize my tweaking.

Thanks, 68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

That's good! I'm glad you didn't get in there and start pushing things around with a porta power. Rubber mallets work well for reshaping those lips.
Regarding the seal, you can always tape it down at several locations instead of glueing it. Just rub a strip of 2" masking tape across your shirt to kill some of the stickiness where it will contact the seal.