Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA
Default Replace fuel sending unit...need help

I've got to check my fuel sending unit - is there a way to pull it and replace it WITHOUT dropping the gas tank?

Thanks...

Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Suspended

depends which car, like on a 67 or earlier A body, for sure, no problem.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer View Post
depends which car, like on a 67 or earlier A body, for sure, no problem.
Sorry, should've clarified...

My 66 LeMans - do I have to drop the fuel tank to check/replace the fuel sending unit?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You do not have to drop the tank, I would however make sure it is relatively low on gas, there will be less spillage. I would also recommend a new rubber seal, will be easier to get back on.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyj1 View Post
You do not have to drop the tank, I would however make sure it is relatively low on gas, there will be less spillage. I would also recommend a new rubber seal, will be easier to get back on.
Rubber seal around the sending unit, right?

Sorry, newby here!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It can be done with some patients.I did it back MANY years ago in H.S.It was easy to take off~take a hammer and screw driver,put the flat tip on the back of one of the lock ring tangs and tap it around until the ring comes off.The patients part comes installing it,you have the press in the ring as you tap the the lock ring tang.Back then I had no patients and had my dad finish it....it took him 2 minutes.

Get a new lock ring and rubber gasket as was mentioned and VERY little gas in the tank.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

also when tapping on it,,rotate from one tang to the others as the lock ring is a tad smaller and may get pushed to one side
rotating on the tabs will help yo keep it centered

Old 09-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
also when tapping on it,,rotate from one tang to the others as the lock ring is a tad smaller and may get pushed to one side
rotating on the tabs will help yo keep it centered
Yup!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the sending unit out, had to drop the tank - wanted to anyway, to clean it out. Don't need to, it's nice and clean inside! Who would've thought, after 42 years?!

Picking up a new "sock" for the sending unit and new rubber gasket and O-ring - still need to get the carb back to the guys that sold it to me.

It's getting there!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done the ''hammer and screwdriver'' thing a few times too.Just a word on safety.Use a brass screwdriver substitute.Its way too easy to cause a spark when the screwdriver slips off the tab.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, put grease on the rubber O Ring, it will help it to slide while tapping it in.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Also, put grease on the rubber O Ring, it will help it to slide while tapping it in.
Actually, the O ring remains stationary cause it's sandwiched in between the sending unit and the tank, right?

FYI

Anyone out here on the West Coast - Classic Industries sells the Sending Unit Filter Screen, OPG doesn't - but it's the same part. Classic Industries Part# K404

Cheers!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It does tend to squirm and can get cut or pinched.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the gas tank/sending unit back in, fired it up - no leaks and the car is running fine. Need to replace the stat on Monday and HOPEFULLY that takes care of the overheating problem...

Thanks guys for all your help!