Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Philips LCD, HD TV opinions

Hi!
I have been doing research for about a year and I think I may have finally found the TV!
Does anyone have an opinion about the Philips brand? It is very hard to find a review online.

Costco has the TV I want for $1799 for the 52".

I appreciate any reply.

Thanks,
Kirk

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This may not be much help but I have a Phillips 42" plasma. I think they make good equipment; I've been real happy with the picture quality but the sound from the built-in speakers is kind of tinny.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother bought a 52" Phillips from Costco for just under $2,000 a few months ago; might be the same one. Since that purchase he doesn't get out of the house much anymore.

I have not heard of any complaints whatsoever from him about it. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it; I'll email him and ask them.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did a ton of research late last year on LCD TV's. What I found out was that SAMSUNG had the best LCD and SONY came in a very close second.
Quite a few of the people I talked to, including salesmen & repairmen, recommended staying away from the PHILLIPS brand.

If you want the very best and like fast action movies or sports, pick one of the two above and get it in the 120hz version.

This is info from last December so it may be null & void by now.
Your mileage may vary.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 08-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speargun View Post
I did a ton of research late last year on LCD TV's. What I found out was that SAMSUNG had the best LCD and SONY came in a very close second.
Quite a few of the people I talked to, including salesmen & repairmen, recommended staying away from the PHILLIPS brand.

If you want the very best and like fast action movies or sports, pick one of the two above and get it in the 120hz version.

This is info from last December so it may be null & void by now.
Your mileage may vary.
I don't have any experience with an LCD TV yet, but Ive never owned anything but a Sony product and NEVER had a single issue with anything. Sony quality is top notch. If I were in the market, I wouldn't even consider anything else. I have a Sony 53" rear projection TV, if it would only break........

Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Philips TVs are reasonable quality. They're not high end and not junk. They are far more common in Europe (remember, they're a Dutch company). I have a Philips CRT TV in one room that has worked for about 8 years. OTOH, Philips has decided to get out of the TV business in the US because their margins are too low. I personally wouldn't buy a Philips LCD but can't say it would be a terrible choice.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Suspended

I've had a Phillips 50" DLP for 3 years now. Been great, and an awesome picture after I tuned the set.
Just recently it has been shutting down on occasion, I think it's time for a bulb. Other than the bulb, I am happy.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 PM

We've been leaning towards the Samsung and Sony also, but for the price if the Philips we thought we'd do some research. It is almost a $1000 savings.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wouldn't buy anything you can't see set up and displaying an image even if at another store. Also be careful with model numbers a change in a letter can mean a big difference in the specs of the unit. If your planning on using video games you may want to read up about screen burn in before considering a plasma. If your not in a hurry there should be some great sales happening soon

Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

I ended up buying a Samsung LCD. Like mentioned above, don't buy what you can't see.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Jimbro727

Philips is probably a good brand, but I haven't had much experience with them. They're at least a name, and probably make good quality stuff, unlike alot of those newer brands making cheap LCDs.

I'd say go with an LCD over a plasma, but anyone shopping around for either who has been waiting, should wait a little longer. Check out OLED technology. It blows LCD and plasma out of the water, and over the next couple of years you'll be seeing it more and more. Your next TV probably won't be an OLED one, unless you want to spend thousands more than an LCD costs today. BUT, they should force LCD prices down as the cycle of new TV tech restarts.

---CARS---
1978 Pontiac Firebird T/A - Martinique blue/blue interior - 400 bored .030 over and stroked with an Eagle kit to 458, SRP forged pistons, Eagle crank, 6x heads, comp cams springs, comp cams hydraulic flat tappet cam, TH-350, and a Jeff Walker Q-Jet.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2982177
Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Again, my hint was probably not clear enough....

Philips is getting out of the consumer TV business in the US. For that reason when considering support, I personally would steer clear..... I know with complete certainty that Philips is getting out of that particular business in the US.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
Again, my hint was probably not clear enough....

Philips is getting out of the consumer TV business in the US. For that reason when considering support, I personally would steer clear..... I know with complete certainty that Philips is getting out of that particular business in the US.
Funai is taking over though, and should be able to offer support.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Clone View Post
Funai is taking over though, and should be able to offer support.
That is correct, but why purchase a commodity product that is going through a transition (including support)? Price points and specs are far too similar. The reason Philips is abandoning it is because of the low margins. IMHO there just isn't any good reason to take a chance when other lines and options are available. Philips will remain competitive in Europe, but the Philips/Funai deal injects too mucy potential frustration in the US.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Samsung 40" LCD in 1080p and a Samsung 50" DLP in 1080p. After researching extensively I decided that they were the best and after about a year I haven't changed my mind.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Phillips, great engineers. Engineered the cassette, the CD and the DVD, but their manufacturing sucks. I would suggest a Samsung 120hz 1080p with 40,000 / 1 contrast, and I would stay away from Costco and Sams Club, they both sell recycled and discontinued products as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just bought a 32" Samsung LCD flat panel for the garage from American. They were $20 cheaper than best buy, shipping was $19.32 (I can't drive to the store for that) & saved 1 1/2 % on sales tax cause it was shipped to my address.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 08-30-2008, 03:14 PM

I have an almost 4 year old 42" Sony DLP and I like it, amazingly the bulb is still going and it gets used a lot. I purchased it from one of those New York discount electronics places online and had it shipped, saved about a thousand bucks at that time. It came with a service contract as part of the price which covers some parts and labor after the warranty runs out. The picture started getting faint dark spots a few months ago so I called the service contract place and they sent a technician out. The guy said he had never seen this and called Sony, he talked to them for a few minutes doing tests and checking things. After he was off he told me Sony was paying for a new light block? and all the labor, even though it was out of warranty. The extra warranty didn't cover it all either, he said Sony takes care of things if it is a defective part, they know how to tell too. Sony shipped the part to him overnight and he was back the next day to put it in, I don't know what those things cost but it didn't look cheap. Sony called me the same day to make sure everything was okay and to apologize for any inconvenience, also sent a customer satisfaction survey. The tech guy (who was an old timer) said the 42" Sony DLP has one of the best pictures he has ever seen. Because of the screen size and the same light block is used in the larger model which sort of supercharges the picture I guess, told me he has one too.

Allan

Last edited by AMH555; 08-30-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM

I have a 60" Sony LCOS, 42"Pioneer Plasma, and a 42" Panasonic Plasma. I purchased a Sony 40" LCD and had a problem with the fan, so I took it back to Best Buy the guy had to talk me into the Pioneer I was a Sony all the way and didn't like plasma. But when I got this tv home and hooked up the local HD programs from an antenna were so rich and deep in color I could not believe it. The picture was so real looking and it was a 720p not a 1080p I was like WOW what a tv. We then purchased the Panasonic plasma and it is the same way great picture and Panasonic is always number 1 in consumer reports. If your tv will be in an area where you have bright light I would go with the Sony or Samsung LCD, if light is not a problem the Pioneer or Panasonic would be the way to go. The other thing to look at is the blacks, the Sony tends to be a little blue, and the Samsung is black but not as black as a plasma. With the plasma your going to get a more real picture, check it out with a Blu-Ray player, not with one of there disc but a movie.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:56 PM

So after doing alot more looking around we have setteled on the Samsung 52" LCD,
But first the wife has to find a enterment console that she likes