Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Brake Controller

I found my trailer finally. I bought a used 2007 20' car hauler with single axle electric brakes. Now I need a brake controller. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500. It's pre-wired for a brake controller.

What type/brand is recommended? I see there are timing, inertia, proportional, hydraulic over electric, etc. What's best/necessary?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Tekonsha Prodigy. I use one in my truck. Set it up one time and leave it alone.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a similar rig and use a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller - more expensive than the $50 POS autozone special it replaced, but well worth it.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Yep, another vote for the Prodigy. I set mine up in 5 minutes and in 20' of driveway.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

+5 for Prodigy, and I pull a 10K lb enclosed trailer. Works like a charm.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for Prodigy. 20ft open, dual brakes. Easily adjustable, breeze to use.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess your question has been answered..

Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
I guess your question has been answered..
I'll say! Case closed! Thanks!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, since we've answered the controller question...

...let's talk about the trailer for a minute:

Open or enclosed trailer?

What do you mean when you say the truck is "prewired"? Do you mean you have the jumper harness that plugs into the "LH BEC" (aka the fuse block under the dash)?

I might be able to help if you have questions about wiring the truck.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Ok, since we've answered the controller question...

...let's talk about the trailer for a minute:

Open or enclosed trailer?

What do you mean when you say the truck is "prewired"? Do you mean you have the jumper harness that plugs into the "LH BEC" (aka the fuse block under the dash)?

I might be able to help if you have questions about wiring the truck.

K
It's an open flat 20' car hauler.

Yes, it has the factory jumper harness. I already figured out where the harness and fuse plug in. I don't anticipate any problems wiring it up. I'll remember your offer though. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i used prodigy on that size trailer, it was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
.... I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500. It's pre-wired for a brake controller. ...
keep in mind, there was a slight wiring change on GM trucks, and i can't exactly recall what the details were, or when it was. take a look at prodigy tech section maybe, but my '02 chevy required a slightly different wiring harness than the new ones, but i ended up just lifting a couple pins from the current harness to match the wiring of the old one. sorry, can't remember the details, but keep in mind there are 2 different wiring arrangements on late model GM harnesses. found it... looks like cut-off was '03 and up, so for '00, just swap pin locations: http://www.tekonsha.com/files/Produc...2020020013.pdf

also- it's been a couple years, but as i recall, there is a fuse that will need to be inserted to get power to your trailer and recharge the brakes battery. if this is your first time hooking up the 7-pin harness, look out for it. the factory ships trucks without the fuse installed (a dummy fuse in its place), and sometimes it comes in the glove box when the truck was new. iirc, it's a 40 amp maxi fuse.

** edited to add: the fuse is 40amp, located in a slot labeled 'Stud #1' under the hood on driver's side under a plastic cover. comes with dummy fuse in there.

Last edited by TheMonkey; 06-12-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Suspended

One more thing, if your truck has a trailer tow package, Tekonsha makes a harness for it and it's a plug and play deal for most applications.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have an almost new Tekonsha controller I'd like to sell. I'm not sure if it's the "Prodigy" model but I could check tonight. My new Chevy came with an in-the-dash controller so I didn't need it. This one was mounted in my wife's Durango which I only towed with 2 or 3 times. Let me know if interested - I have the box, instructions and all hardware - $40.00 plus ship.

Mark O.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonkey View Post

keep in mind, there was a slight wiring change on GM trucks, and i can't exactly recall what the details were, or when it was. take a look at prodigy tech section maybe, but my '02 chevy required a slightly different wiring harness than the new ones, but i ended up just lifting a couple pins from the current harness to match the wiring of the old one. sorry, can't remember the details, but keep in mind there are 2 different wiring arrangements on late model GM harnesses. found it... looks like cut-off was '03 and up, so for '00, just swap pin locations: http://www.tekonsha.com/files/Produc...2020020013.pdf
That is exactly correct.

Another way to tell is the correct "2002 & earlier" harness will have a brown plug; "2003 & later" harness will have a white plug.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stags View Post
I have an almost new Tekonsha controller I'd like to sell. I'm not sure if it's the "Prodigy" model but I could check tonight. My new Chevy came with an in-the-dash controller so I didn't need it. This one was mounted in my wife's Durango which I only towed with 2 or 3 times. Let me know if interested - I have the box, instructions and all hardware - $40.00 plus ship.

Mark O.
Yes, I'm definately interested. Let me know what model it is.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
i used prodigy on that size trailer, it was great.

also- it's been a couple years, but as i recall, there is a fuse that will need to be inserted to get power to your trailer and recharge the brakes battery. if this is your first time hooking up the 7-pin harness, look out for it. the factory ships trucks without the fuse installed (a dummy fuse in its place), and sometimes it comes in the glove box when the truck was new. iirc, it's a 40 amp maxi fuse.

** edited to add: the fuse is 40amp, located in a slot labeled 'Stud #1' under the hood on driver's side under a plastic cover. comes with dummy fuse in there.
Thanks for the tip. I have the factory harness. So it should be a piece of cake. It does have a brown plug.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
That is exactly correct.

Another way to tell is the correct "2002 & earlier" harness will have a brown plug; "2003 & later" harness will have a white plug.

K
be careful of clowns like me that modified the white plug to behave like the brown plug

Old 06-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
be careful of clowns like me that modified the white plug to behave like the brown plug
I don't have to worry about it being modified. I bought the truck new.

You're not a clown. I've modified almost everything I own.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You guys are good. I have the 2002 2500HD and went through all of what was described here. I too have the Prodigy and its awesome.

One thing though...you may not run into it, and your trailer might do it differently (Ive got an 15ft Econo-trailer) but I had it plugged into the truck harness but didnt have it on the ball (didnt have the receiver at the time) Didnt think it mattered, but the controller wouldn't see the trailer as "connected" until it was on the ball. Borrowed a friends receiver, and bam...all was good once the trailer was actually on there. not sure why exactly, but I imagine it must ground through that connection somewhere.

My $.02.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 06-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73LeMans View Post
You guys are good. I have the 2002 2500HD and went through all of what was described here. I too have the Prodigy and its awesome.

One thing though...you may not run into it, and your trailer might do it differently (Ive got an 15ft Econo-trailer) but I had it plugged into the truck harness but didnt have it on the ball (didnt have the receiver at the time) Didnt think it mattered, but the controller wouldn't see the trailer as "connected" until it was on the ball. Borrowed a friends receiver, and bam...all was good once the trailer was actually on there. not sure why exactly, but I imagine it must ground through that connection somewhere.

My $.02.
Yep, I've seen a few trailers that ground through the ball.