Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Question Engine Vin number location - 1970 GTO

Can someone please help me with the location of the vin # on the engine of my 1970 GTO?

I saw a number on the right (pass side) front of the engine above the water pump.
There was a small flat surface and had the following information:
YS
The number is not my Vin # (242760B103992). According to PHS my car was shipped on Sep 22, 1969.

Is there another location to find out if I have the original engine for the car?

Also, any suggestions where to get the correct air conditioning hose material as my mechanic is installing a new a/c compressor for me?

One more question: Does anyone know a source to get the SMALL CLIP that holds the SHIFT SELECTOR INDICATOR in place on the top of the steering column for an automatic transmission car?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dick DeLano
218-391-2058

Old 06-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The vin number location is just below that area, passenger side, stamped vertically. The numer you have found "YS" is on the head actually. You'll find the number by looking that the block from under the car.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The codes you found are in fact on the BLOCK, not the head.

RH side, front of Block just below the head mounting surface.

The YS is the Engine Manifest Code.

0108718 is called the Engine Unit No., indicates this was the 108,718th Engine Assembly put together at the PMD's Engine Assembly Plant (located at the Pontiac, Mich complex) for whatever Model Year it was intended for.

The Engine Code and EUN were stamped on by the Engine Assembly Plant. The VIN of the car that engine would eventually be installed in was unknown at the time of engine assembly.

The partial VIN was stamped on at the Final Assembly Plant, Baltimore in your case.

This is a fairly early EUN so a good chance it is original to your car.

The partial VIN is usually located about 3" below the Engine Code, oriented perpendicular to the ground and alongside the Timing Chain Cover.

Sometimes, especially on Fremont cars in '70 apparently, they have been found on the LH (driver) side of the Block.

The partial VIN stamp on the original engine in your car would read 20B103992 (you have a typo in the VIN you posted, 24267 not 24276, but I assume the rest of it is correct).

The characters are usually pretty tiny, about 1/2 the size of the Engine Code & EUN characters from the ones I have seen. Usually easier to look from underneath.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a pic:

Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick,
I want to say the engine will not match the VIN. Unless, the EUN or VIN you listed is in error.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:31 PM

Default 1970 GTO Vin #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Dick,
I want to say the engine will not match the VIN. Unless, the EUN or VIN you listed is in error.
I went to the shop today and viewed the vin #: 20B103992 stamped vertically on the front of the engine............ whew...... what a relief at least I didn't get taken on the engine.

The # on the tranny plate/metal tab started with a PX, but didn't correspond to my vin #.

I didn't see a vertical flat place on the tranny to see a vin #.

Dick

Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The partial VIN won't be on a plate on the tranny.
It'll be stamped on it.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 PM

360 Rocket, John V, & Held for Ransom

Thanks for the information I'm sure it will be very helpful when I go to the shop tomorrow and try to take photos.

John V, you are correct about the typo, the vin of my car is: 242670B103992

Any thoughts about finding the CLIP that secures the TRANSMISSIO SELECTOR INDICATOR??

Thanks again for your assistance.

Dick DeLano

Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the outcome/viewing of the vin # tomorrow.

Dick