Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default shaker and getting more air in...

Am I missing something? The shaker on my 76 TA is the most restrictive thing I've ever seen.

I've been working on my 5-month old (to me) 76 TA. It is hotter than stock. 455, HSD intake, edelbrock 850cfm, HR cam, headers, etc. It runs WELL, but not with that shaker/air cleaner on.

I've found tons of flapper threads - heck, I can't get air past that 2" air filter and filter cover (it is the correct cover that has the concave part of the lid facing in) to worry about the flapper which is out right now.

Is the WFO the only option? It may eventually make it to the track, where I could swap out the shaker for strip runs, but I'd rather not lose 75hp on the street. I have an K&N extreme lid on my gto, but this is a nearly flat lid and will NOT work with the shaker drop base...

I'd like to keep the look of the shaker.

P.S. It fits great with the HSD.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have tried the Xstream lid (at Knoll Gas) on the TA with no luck. The car slowed down. The design of the stock lid is what my car wants.

The chassis dyno only showed a 5 hp gain without the scoop and really no torque gain.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's another vote against the Xstream lid. guh

Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PICs attached.

There is NO WAY that you can even put an xtreme on this as the top of the carb is nearly even with the top of the flow surface on the inside of the air cleaner base.

If I put even a filter 1/2" taller, it hits the shaker when mounted.

Running the orange filter (4") on this car and NO shaker - it is like another car. The low rise filter/lid/base is holding it back.

You SD guys must have gotten a different shaker/base from the factor. I am pretty sure this is the original 76 stuff. Yeah, the 76 455 was rated at 200hp. I think this is one of the reasons why.

I APPRECIATE the help. PY's picture deal is broken, so I put some pics on the zone site: link

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21864

Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm NOT an SD guy,but just leave your STOCK airfiler housing & shaker the way the factory intended it,with the back of the shaker opened up if you are interested in MAXIMUM POWER/ AIRFLOW.

The dyno has proven that our favorite Pontiac engine LIKES & WANTS the stock arrangement.

The "so-called" high performance/ high flow air filters DO NOT register any performance gains on the track,according to Jim Hand.

YOUR filter housing looks like a 77-78 base engine (non-W72) version,but with the scoop opened up & the fresh air tube hooked up to the snorkle,your air cleaner/shaker assembly SHOULD get you in to the 12's,if the rest of your car is up for it.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou
There is NO WAY that you can even put an xtreme on this as the top of the carb is nearly even with the top of the flow surface on the inside of the air cleaner base.
Your '76 pan IS deeper. Just looking at your pics I can see that.

I bought a slightly taller K/N filter to get mine to clear the top of the carb. It was close but it worked. Bob and Dick saw the test(last june) and agreed the lid was not what the car wanted due to the shape. I made 2 pasess with the X stream lid and MPH was obviously off.

Wish I could help more...Nice car!

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help - I'll try and get a full picture of the base of the air cleaner housing. I figured it was a 76 base.

Didn't mean to offend anyone by calling them an SD guy (lol).

kind of sucks that PY's picture posting deal is down.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And I meant to ask.... . has anyone tried the WFO on a 76??

Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/sho...200#post321200

put a couple of more pics of the base....

Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine fit - not any room to spare but it fit. The bases are basically the same from 73-76 with different holes on the sides for different fittings. I did use the K&N filter too. BTW, I am an SD guy and no offense taken. We're a charmed group of guys.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The stock air filter setup is not that restrictive. The "mushroom" design with domed lid actually enhances air flow. If anything is a restriction, it would be the rear opening of the shaker. My WFO unit for '73-'76 shakers uses a flat panel filter which is necessary for the low-angle scoops The filter measures 6"x9" and adequately supports a 500hp engine. I have several customers who run roller cams and edelbrock heads and have no complaints of air flow restriction or lack of performance.
Click on the link and browse the photos for the '73-'76 shakers.
http://community.webshots.com/album/129263156jDeXOf

Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another option.

http://www.blockersperformance.com/products.html

Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Chris.....I'm flattered to see Brian incorporating WFO products into the BPR accessory line.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry,

You ever dyno test one of your lids against a stock one? I would be interested in track testing just the lid...real soon

Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jay, all my testing is done on the 1/4 mile dyno.
I've tested K&N against paper filters and there is NO difference in performance.
The WFO lid is basically the same design as a pontiac lid so there shouldn't be any performance difference.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro
The WFO lid is basically the same design as a pontiac lid so there shouldn't be any performance difference.
I would still like to try it. It looks like a higher arch than the stock one. Do you sell just the lid ?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We ran the WFO set up on the dyno on an SD engine last fall and compared it to the stock set up. The stock set up made more power and torque. I personally feel that the flat panel filter does not allow the same amount of airflow as the stock round filter. I don't have the sheets here in front of me but as I recall it was around 5-6 hp.

Just my $.02

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am almost convinced that I must have mis-matched parts.

I have a HSD intake - I don't need more "clearance".

If you look at one of his WFO pics you see SOME clearance between the inside of lower air cleaner base and the top of the air filter element. BASICALLY, if you lay a yardstick across my air cleaner base, it is just as high as the inside dome of the base (and just as high as the element itself).

The only air getting into my carb is under the concave dome of the air cleaner lid - the clearance is just that tight.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1164...30046859hfGRmh

I don't know if that link works - but the top of my element is even with the dome of the base of the housing. I only get air under the lid.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever, Larry.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks to me like your airfilter lid is overhanging your filter by about a 1/2 inch.
I belive there were several different lid sizes available,so you may want to check into that. A smaller lid will increase your airflow potential.