Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:29 PM

Question Advice? 15hp Devilbliss

I have been in the market for a good air compressor for my shop that will handle sandblasting painting etc... Unfortunately I have champagne tastes and a beer budget. My allowance is around 500 bucks. I have permission from the wifey and its either use it or lose it if'n ya know what I mean. I might be able to add a little bit more to the 5 but shhhh... don't tell my wife I've been hoarding.

There is a guy selling a 15 hp Devil-bliss air compressor. I do not know if it is vertical, horizontal, CFM's, tank size, age, nothing else. He said it was working in his old shop, he moved and now has a little shop that has no 220 service. He really does not know anything else about it not even the model number. He did say it would take 3 people to load it so it must be a large one.

I am assuming a 15 hp would have more than enough power to handle anything I can throw at it. And Devil-bliss is a pretty standard name isn't it? He only wants 400 for it which would leave me 100 for new filters regulators whatever else I might need.

Anything in particular I should check when I look at it tomorrow?
Is a used one like this a bad idea?
Do you know of a new one that will work for me?

I would think this being memorial day I might could find some good deals but everything that has interested me is 800 plus.

Whatcha think?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:58 PM

It is aprox 3 foot high and 4 foot long. Does not sound very big to me. Perhaps he is wrong about the hp.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 AM

Just stopped at Lowes. I have a $75.00 off card for them. What do you think about these...

Kobalt 80gal, 155psi, 4.5hp, 14 @ 90, 16 @ 40 $699.00
Has regulator 2 hookups guages etc mounted in a nice neat fashion. 3 small cylinders on pump. Plug N Play.

Cambel Hausfeld 80gal, 140psi, 5hp, 16 @ 90 $649.00
Has simple regulator and thats all, must buy and install everything else. 2 large cylinders on pumps. Not so plug N play.

Still waiting for a call from the guy with the 15hp. Need info on what to look for.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is a 15hp motor, it'll almost certainly require a three phase electric service. You'll rarely find a single phase electric motor bigger than about 7 1/2 hp.

As you probably know, the capacity of the compressor in CFM is going to be the big thing if you want to use it for sandblasting.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Ok here is what I have found out...

Devilbliss 330 model Single stage
Cast Iron dual belt 150 psi

I'm googling it now but any thoughts on it?
He is concerned it might be to large for me, is that possible?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When it comes to air compressors, I'd rather have too much than too little. Sandblasting and air tools really eat up the air quickly.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 AM

Geesh, no luck finding any info on the used one via google. Surely someone here knows about it.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at the Devilbiss website and didn't find any new compressors that had that model number. Is this a pretty old machine?

I'd wonder about a 15hp compressor being only a single stage. Have the guy look at the motor, there should be a nameplate on it that tells the voltage, amps, hp, etc.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out the specs. closer like Stuart said. Odds are it will pull a lot of amps. Don't exceed the capacity of your box/breaker.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:26 PM

yeah it's an old one. Evidently it can be switched to 110 but he doesn't know how. He was supposed to call me back this afternoon but hasn't. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM

wow, all this research will wear you out.

Anyone care to give thoughts on this one?
Rockworth 2 stage compressor $750
Iron sleeve though. Is that really a terrible thing?

HP (Peak/Actual)
7.0 / 5.0
Air Receiver (Gallons)
Max. Pressure (PSI)
CFM @ 100 PSI
CFM @ 175 PSI

Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Iron sleeve is a good thing.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Since you are in Columbia SC I would assume that you have a Tractor Supply somewhere nearby. I would check there. I looked locally and they have a 60 gallon 5hp Ingersol Rand for $849 that produces a little over 18 cfm @ 90 PSI. I dont know who builds the Kobalt compressors.....probably Cambell Hausfeld. It probably is not rated at 100% duty cycle, the IR is.
A sand blaster will use about 15 cfm @ 80 psi. General rule of thumb is take the air consumption for the tool that uses the most air and add 30% to it. 15 cfm +30% = 19.5 cfm................otherwise the compressor will probably run a LOT using the blaster. If you dont plan to blast often then the 18+ cfm along with the 100% duty cycle may be OK. The 14 for the Kobalt nor the 16 for the Cambell wouldnt in my opinion.
I have been looking and researching too for about 4 months now and in my opinion for the money the IR at TSC seems to be the best bang for the buck.......they also typically have them in stock so there isnt any shipping BS.
Another point.........parts for IR are easy to obtain if you would ever happen to need them. The IR or any other good name brand rig would last you a lifetime. The Campbell, Kobalt, Husky and other cheaper compressors seem to be kind of hit or miss.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Colin; 05-28-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Oh yeah.......iron sleeve is a good thing but its better for the entire pump to be iron. You do NOT want an oiless pump either.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin