Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default Old 2-jet STUCK to the intake, help.

It's a '67 283, and I was going to recondition the carb this weekend.

Got all the linkage seperated, then removed the base plate nuts. The thing won't budge.
I have tried a broad edged chisel & two pound baby sledge hammer, to no avail.
I'm nervous about cracking the base plate if I hit it any harder.
I suspect a previous owner glued it down with Indian Head gasket adheisive.

Any suggestions.

P.S. the main reason for the scheduled overhaul was, it needs an accelerator pump, and it's easier to get the whole kit and be done with it.
Can I do the bulk of a rebuild with it mounted on the engine? I can just remove the top of the carb and change the accelerator pump, can't I?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Got it loose

I had another go at it this afternoon, w/hammer and chisle. She finally wiggled free.
Seems maybe the carb cleaner spray I soaked it with may have disolved some of the hardened gasket. The front two studs were corroded below the threads, and probably putting pressure on the holes in the base plate.