Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Replacing bulb in center console

I need to replace the bulb in the center console for the shifter dial. The restoration books I have are very vague as to how to remove the top plate to get the dial off and get to the bulb. How do I remove it? Does it just pry off? I'm afraid to try it.

I know what I like, and I like what I know!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

On my 72, which has a TH350 (should be the same), the top plate pries off. IIRC, there is a clip on the front of the plate (i.e. towards the dash) and one on the back. Pry that up gently and you will find a housing under the shift indicator that has a wire (or two) going into it. That's what you're looking for.

I don't know what kind of shifter knob you have, but I have the standard black vinyl job with the round plastic button. You can remove the button (there is a slot in the front) by gently prying it off and then pulling the knob off. That will give you even more room to work.

1989 Trans AM GTA
Brilliant Red with Dove Grey Interior
5.7 TPI/700R4 3.27 "Aussie" Rear
-----
1972 LeMans with Endura Option
Lucerne Blue with Black interior and Black Vinyl Top
400/TH350 (Sold)
-----

"Wind in my hair, shifting and drifting, mechanical music, adrenaline surge..."
-Rush, "Red Barchetta"
Old 05-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful though. Those little clips that hold the plate down break very easily.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 PM

Yes Wingnut - it is kind of an emotional ordeal. Terry and Henry are right on. The clips that hold the chrome bezel do break easily. They weren't the best design. If you do break them, it's not a big deal. write again and we'll tell you what people have done to rig something else. Under the chrome bezel is the clear indicator bezel in a metal housing assembly. It is sitting in/on top of a black plate. Just lift the indicator bezel/housing assembly out and the light is plugged into the back of that. Alright, I toled you that, now tell me, where is the light plugged into under the dash (I'm just installing mine, that's how I know how it's put together!)

Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 PM

Thanks guys, I will try and pull the plate off tomorrow. Is there a science to pulling it off, like starting at the ends first? I also don't want to crack the console vinyl.

Matt, did you need to know where the cable for the console goes under the dash? If so, I can try and find it in my book.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Cracking the vinyl is the really scary part to me too. Actually someone just e-mailed the picture of console wiring. It goes to the clock harness..wouldn't have guessed that!! Thanks Wingnut. Tell us how the plate removal job goes.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGNUT
Thanks guys, I will try and pull the plate off tomorrow. Is there a science to pulling it off, like starting at the ends first? I also don't want to crack the console vinyl.

Matt, did you need to know where the cable for the console goes under the dash? If so, I can try and find it in my book.
One clip on each end. Use a small screwdriver. BTW, I DID break one of the two clips when I removed it. I just used a little glue to put it back together. I used the glue that dries to a rubbery finish. It's held for about 4 years and looks fine.

1989 Trans AM GTA
Brilliant Red with Dove Grey Interior
5.7 TPI/700R4 3.27 "Aussie" Rear
-----
1972 LeMans with Endura Option
Lucerne Blue with Black interior and Black Vinyl Top
400/TH350 (Sold)
-----

"Wind in my hair, shifting and drifting, mechanical music, adrenaline surge..."
-Rush, "Red Barchetta"
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM

Success! The bulb has been replaced and is functional, and everything is put back together. It was a little tricky.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Whew!