Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Help No Tailights

I've just about got my 66 GTO together but I have no taillights at all. The car was apart for about 2 yearswhile being restored. I installed a new tail harness and I have no tails except for licence plate lamp. I hooked a meter up to the harness at the connector. Brown wire is hot when head lamp switch is on yellow and green both test good with left or right signal activated. So the problem is the tail harness. Is there a ground I might be missing or something to look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The grounds for your tail lights are the tail light housings. Make sure your housings socket openings are clean, and that the tangs on the sockets, are making good contact to housings. Some add extra ground wires to the sockets so as to double the ground, as the tangs get weak over time .

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Make sure the connectors snap tight and of course check for a bad ground. Electrical problems are a major pain. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 AM

The trunk has been painted as well as the taillight housings. Perhaps the paint is causing a bad ground. I'll check it out after work and let you know. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 AM

I ended up running seperate ground wires to my housings to make sure mine work all the time. Make sure your getting 12v thru the wires first. If you are then it's the grounding.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66PROGTO
The trunk has been painted as well as the taillight housings. Perhaps the paint is causing a bad ground. I'll check it out after work and let you know. Thanks.
If your housings and studs are painted, then it is most likely that is your problem. Grounds must be clean (no Paint or rust), this also goes for the studs the housings mount to. The nuts holding the lamps on must be snug and clean also.

Scott

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM

I found the problem. Paint on the housing studs causing bad ground. Thanks for all your help.