67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:57 AM

Default Mirror Problems.

I have bought 4 mirrors from various sources for my 69.

The screw that tightens the mirror to the bracket does not secure the mirror...

Does anyone have an option for placing the bracket on so that the mirror is secured?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the mounting bracket. The angle of the threads does not always line up with the mirror hole. Use the black gasket pplace the mirror on it and using and awl and see if you can feel the hole with the awl. A flashlight helps as well to see if you are even close to the thead angle lining up. This bracket can be bent at too far of an angle for the theads to catch.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 AM

Try Year One? The were the only one to sell me one that mounted properly. No modification needed.

-600 CFM Holley Carb sitting on a Edlebrock performer intake
-Crane Cam "Energizer"
-MSD Pro-billet Distributor/Blaster II coil
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to 1965GTOTempest Send a message via AIM to 1965GTOTempest

Same issue here. I replaced the original rear-view mirror and in order for it to fit into the 2 prongs you had to pull them apart a little bit, then vice grip it to tighten it. But, it won't stay tight, so as I drive the mirror drops down little by little. Every 4 minutes or so I have to adjust it.

Compounding that is the door mirror, which I replaced, isn't quite accurate and if I were 6 inches taller and could move the seat 3 inches to the left, it would be fine.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965GTOTempest
Same issue here. I replaced the original rear-view mirror and in order for it to fit into the 2 prongs you had to pull them apart a little bit, then vice grip it to tighten it. But, it won't stay tight, so as I drive the mirror drops down little by little. Every 4 minutes or so I have to adjust it.

Compounding that is the door mirror, which I replaced, isn't quite accurate and if I were 6 inches taller and could move the seat 3 inches to the left, it would be fine.
I got the same problem with the factory rear view mirror. Pain in the butt. Carry a small screw driver in the glove and constantly tightening. And to make matters worse I have an aftermart mirror on the door that drops when you close the door or hit 60 mph.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to 1965GTOTempest Send a message via AIM to 1965GTOTempest

I have a screwdriver in the console between the seats so will try that but if I remember right, it still kept dropping even when tightened.

I think I need to start searching for an original that will fit better than repro.