Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Murray riding lawn mower

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton, 20" cut, looked real clean and in nice shape. They want $450 for it. Any one have experience with one of these and are they good mowers?

Thanks,
Eric

1969 GTO - 461, turbo 400, Continental 13", 3.08 gears. - 12.59 e.t. @ 108.43 mph, 1.898 60'

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme- 461, turbo 350, PTC 3500 converter, 9" 3:50 gears. = 11.39 e.t. @ 117.55 mph, 1.599 60' on E85
Old 04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

12.5hp with 20" cut?? Murray, MTD, Sears, etc...all about the same. John Deere, Gravely, Bolens, etc., are a cut above the cheapies. I've had an MTD (Walmart) for around 10yrs, and it's had it's share of problems, but it sits out in the weather, and I beat the crap out of it. Basically, Briggs engine, cheap transaxle, stamped steel deck.

68 GTO
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 PM

I believe MTD makes the Murry. Most of those from MTD are junk compared to real mowers and tractors. A lot of things wear faster or break than most of the good ones. Ya get what you pay for. 20" w/12.5 hp????? Even some of the brand name ones you have to look out for. They have been bought out by others and cheapened up. You looking for a mower, lawn tractor or garden tractor?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 20" cut forgot what it said by the time I got home, maybe 2 20" blades? just a guess. Looking for a riding mower, this is about the right size.

1969 GTO - 461, turbo 400, Continental 13", 3.08 gears. - 12.59 e.t. @ 108.43 mph, 1.898 60'

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme- 461, turbo 350, PTC 3500 converter, 9" 3:50 gears. = 11.39 e.t. @ 117.55 mph, 1.599 60' on E85
Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Murray went out of business years ago after a Class action law suit over their rear engine mowers. In the millions. Thousands of units. They folded. I had one looking for parts. No complaints. Seems the plastic gas tank was to close to the exh and engine and Kaboom. You can do a search on the internet. Tons of info. Sears sold the same units under their name but still a Murray. As did Home Depot.

Murray went bye bye.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There was a factory in Orangeburg, SC that manufactured most all of the name brand garden tractors, push mowers, etc., and you could go there on Saturday mornings, and buy "scratch and dent" kind of stuff. They'd have a couple dozen tractors, one needed a seat, screwed up paint, etc. There were Sears, Murray, MTD, Weedeater brand, and on and on. (all the same-different names) Bought a Weedeater brand 5 hp self propelled bagger for $150 w/warranty. They would drag out pallets of transaxles for $25 a pop, other stuff as well. Someone told me that somebody took a header off of a loading dock, and that was the end of the Saturday bargains.

68 GTO
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Senior Chief

I bought a new 12hp 36" cut Murray in 1987 for $969. Did the maintenance at the beginning of each season for the first 10 years. I finally junked it in 2006. It still ran and mowed, but the front end was shot. Like most things, they will last with some care. I run a Deere now which 10 times better quality, but the Murray served me well and was what I could afford at the time.

Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

One word.........JUNK> All of the Murray mowers I have seen look like junk........at least the newer ones. My father in law has one thats less than 5 years old and its been a piece of crap pretty much since he bought it. It leaks oil severely, the hood fell off (it has plastic mounts) and the deck is super thin...............oh, the pulleys on the deck dont line up properly so it wears belts out quickly. Said he has to replace the belts at least once every season.
Look around some more, you can find a good used mower with a better reputation than that for about the same money.
I bought a Craftsman (which isnt really a good mower either) for $100. All it needed was new spindles and bearings and blades.........cost me another $85. Been using it 2 and a half seasons now without issues.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Colin; 04-08-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze66
Even some of the brand name ones you have to look out for. They have been bought out by others and cheapened up. You looking for a mower, lawn tractor or garden tractor?
Thats right..............most consumer type riders are not good mowers.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Formerly GnXRanch

I ran a Murray 42" for 12 years. I mow about two acres. I replaced the deck after about 10 years. I gave it to a friend two years ago and he is still using it. I replaced it with a new $900 Murray 42" because it was easier to steer and the mowing chore was going to my 12 year old daughter. She loves to mow . These are the lawn tractors not the rear engine mowers. With proper maintenance, they work ok.
The term "junk" is relative. You buy what you can afford and take care of it. I have friends that have bought $2500 JD's and had nothing but problems. They are not really much different than cars. Whether you buy a $15k car or a $45k car, they both get you to work, require maintenance, and end the end have little to no value.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you ever think of buying some "real goats" I know smart a$$

Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Murray lasted about 4-5 years. Had several minor problems before "the big one".Relatively light duty. Went out and purcahsed a real John Deere. (not the kind you buy at HD or Lowes) Have spent a ton of money on that one also-mostly due to using it for things it wasn't meant for!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy
My Murray lasted about 4-5 years. Had several minor problems before "the big one".Relatively light duty. Went out and purcahsed a real John Deere. (not the kind you buy at HD or Lowes) Have spent a ton of money on that one also-mostly due to using it for things it wasn't meant for!
Thats another good point. The big name mowers like John Deere and such that are being sold at places like Lowes and Home Depot are not the same as the ones you would buy from a regular dealer.
GnXRanch..........I agree that "junk" is relative. My cheapo Crapsman rider is a prime example. It was a cheapo mower when it was new..............I still mow with it, 2.5 acres. The guy I bought it from mowed 3 acres with it. Its 9 years old. Then I know guys with the same mower that have had nothing but trouble.
Unfortunately, I have never heard anyone say anything good about a Murray........with the exception of a couple of you here.
Its sort of like air compressors or any othe piece of equipment. You can go cheap and it may last a couple years or it may last 10 years. You can buy high quality and as long as its properly maintained it will last a lifetime..........you can pass it down to your kids.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i bought a rear engine lawnchief from a guy at work for 85 bucks i think its made by or was bought out by murry i thinks its a late 70s early 80s mower 30 inch cut 8hp briggs straton i seen some murray versions of it to on ebay but with 12 hp. i know my brother has went thru 4-5 mtds murrays or whatever in the last 10 years all bought second hand but only a few years old so id have to agree with the majority about the cheapy murray mtds but i got lucky not only could i damn near take my pretty good lookin murray lawnchief to the antique show but it still looks good and mows like a champ. i think as long as you buy a mower sized right for your yard or field? and use as made for it should be ok