Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM

Default 71 lemans sport convertable wipers

My left wiper is not functioning properly. The left wiper arm moves correctly, the wiper blade is brand new but the blade is not flush to the window. What is the problem? It seems it has lost tension in the arm necessary to hold it down. Is there a way to adjust the arm? I saw on another thread something about a spring in a wiper arm, there is not one in mine, could that be the problem? I don't normally drive it in the rain, got caught out yesterday and realized I got a problem. Any help?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, there should be a spring. It's located at the pivot end of the wiper arm. You might be able to find one in a yard. It is a pretty strong spring; you may also find it at a local hardware store. I think there is also one on the pax side; if so, you could use this for comparison. HTH.
cm

Old 03-31-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks, I was afraid of that. There is no spring on either side so I guess I'm looking for two..

Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

golfer-
I just checked a pair of spare arms I have. The spring is approximately three inches long, 3/8 inch wide. If it matters, it has 20 turns. They are very strong springs; I couldn't get one off -- probably takes a special tool with a hook.

My local Ace hardware has a selection of springs, and I seem to remember they have one at least similar.

Good luck!
cm

Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Does anyone know the proper tool required to put the spring back on? I've been having the same problem on my 71 lemans and its seems darn near impossible to stretch it out unless you've got the strength of Hercules.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

TheLastNorell -
Don't know, but maybe a screwdriver with a "V" cut into the tip? Make sure you cover it with a rag or something so it doesn't go flying if it happens to come out of the "V." Unfortunately, this is not addressed in the body manual; I don't know about the service manual.
I'm glad I didn't get mine off so I don't have to try to put it back on.
cm