Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone use Turbotax or similar tax program?

With tax time around the corner, I was thinking about trying tax software at home instead of paying a CPA. There are a few choices and I'm no CPA, but from what I hear/read, basically it's just putting my numbers in and letting the software do the rest. My wife and I have one 1040 each, a mortgage, and some investments. Nothing complicated. Anyone have any experiences/advice, good or bad, they would like to share?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM

Default turbotax

Yes I've used turbo tax for several years and always had good luck. My returns sound similar to yours.

Good luck, Rob

Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used TaxCut and TurboTax. I buy whatever has a better price. It's extra work the first year because you have to type in all your personal stuff. Either brand will import each others files from year to year. Keep in mind you can either print and mail, or e-file. You pay a little extra to e-file, but you get your refurnd in a week or so.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

I too have used TurboTax for several years with good results. Guy that was doing my taxes was a wacko..........forgot to send them in one year.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always did my own, and never understood why people with simple returns didn't do the same - it only took part of an afternoon, and I always got (what I felt was) a pretty substantial refund.

Last year I decided to try TurboTax; I believe you can try it for free, all the way up the point where you submit your taxes, so that's what I did.

It was amazingly easy, it had no problem figuring things like my tax exemption for working out of the US, IRA contributions, mortgage interest write-off, etc. I think I got more back last year than I ever did before, and I was no slouch about going after deductions.

I've already started this year's return on TurboTax.

As mentioned, it has all my personal info (name, address, ssn, etc.) stored from last year, so I don't have to re-enter that. It remembers my employer and automatically downloads my W2 from them through the net. Definitely makes things easy.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using TurboTax since the late '80's. Wouldn't do it any other way.

George

Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

we have an accountant that gets us big $$ returns
i was hesitant for a few years to try her, but WOW
unreal
you will be amazed at what deductables you can claim

i should have done it years ago

last year i received over 8g's back, year before that was 6.5
suddenly that 100$ seems well spent

Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use to do my own but new job has lots of expenses and write-offs. For me the extra money is worth knowing I didn't miss something. I was audited about 7 yrs ago when I did my own returns and ended up paying a big penalty. Since then I've been going thru a CPA no issues ever brought up.

There are alot of CPA's that will find you all the write offs you want but if your giving them the false info, you are the one on the hook not them.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used TurboTax when my taxes were just the personal 1040 long form + Wis. state taxes, and I am very satisifed with the results.

Now with the daytime gig + getting Brew City Engineering off the ground, I would rather have someone do it. Once BCE is rolling and I am no longer at the 'day job', I will probably do it myself again.

If memory serves, TurboTax offers a refund if you aren't happy with them.

Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 PM

I have used Turbo Tax for several years with nothing but good results. I also use another of their family of products, called ItsDeductible, with good results also. I donate tons of deductible stuff (growing kids and all) and I keep fairly meticulous paperwork on all of it.

A couple years ago, I had too many itemized deductions to file electronically, which essentially means an auto audit. No problems found by IRS, refund sent.

Turbo Tax is really, really easy to use.

It's not that I'm apathetic......I just don't give a damn.......
Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to a couple of CPAs recommended by friends after my first year over here, and none of them were familiar with the IRS "Tax Regulations for US Citizens Working Abroad." Since a mistake on that would mean a difference of about $20,000 in the amount of taxes I had to pay, I stayed away from CPAs and did them myself for the first two years. Last year (as stated above), I used TurboTax and was even more impressed.

CPAs apparently can't keep current on all situations (like mine), but TurboTax does.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Good Results

I've been using Turbo Tax for about 4 years. It makes things much easier. If you use the same product year after year, there is an Automatic fill-in (import) feature so that you do not have re-enter everything year after year. I'd highly recommend it. It cuts down on the frustration significantly.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all who replied to this thread. I think I'm going to give Turbotax a try this year and give the CPA one less pile of papers to fight.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l
...CPAs apparently can't keep current on all situations (like mine), but TurboTax does.
contradiction there i think, i suspect there are many CPA's behind what turbo tax does, afterall, the software doesn't write itself...

better said " one CPA apparently can't keep current on all situations (like mine), but TurboTax does"

i'm a cpa & i would have had to research your situation as well, after all i've prepared returns like yours maybe.......ZERO times over the past 23 years.....

95%+ of my clients are docs & dentists, i guess non work abroad....

Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Chief

I use turbo tax every year. I do all my kids taxes plus mine and my wifes daycare bussiness. Never a problem and it walks me thru the wife's bussiness also.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

ive used turbo tax since the late 90s and have always been more than satisfied. I think it costs around $50 or $60 for state and federal and the you get quick returns. It walks you through everything and explains all questions it asks. Ive written off lots of work expenses and claimed many stocks that ive sold also. I highly recommend it like the others have said. After the first year you use it it becomes quicker to do because your last years info is already there.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:23 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Refund? What's a refund? Wouldn't you have to give the IRS and state tax department your money throughout the year, in order for them to refund it? I never give them my money until April 15th of the following year, other than nominal estimated payments to appease them.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 AM

My wife is an office manager for a Small CPA firm. And I asked her what the biggest complaint is with the Tax prep in a box. The biggest problem is when you get an audit. And yes is does happen. You are in the IRS office all by yourself.

Many of the Questions the IRS asks can an will be handled by a CPA writing a letter and usually they issue is dropped if it is a legit deduction.

No matter what you use, the key is answering the questions honestly. Most people do not want to lie to the CPA when they are looking him in the eye. But a CPA in a box has no eyes. A good CPA will not sign a tax form for you if it is full of misinformation. They do not want you to get an audit. (they want to play golf or go have fun all summer)
silvergoat67

Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your tax situation is basically static and kind of simple then i'd use turbotax. Or use turbotax and your CPA both this year and compare the two forms to see if there are any differences; if not then you can feel confident that next year's return done using turbotax will be right.

With that said I used turbotax for years when I had a simple tax return. The year I got involved in a partnership turbotax absolutely went into the weeds trying to calculate my return (as I suspected it might) and now I only use my CPA.