Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '64 Super-Hydramatic 4 Speed Question

I just spent a relative bundle rebuilding the original Jetaway/Super Hydra-Matic for my Posi 64 Bonneville Convertible. A number of folks have said it was a waste of money and I should go with a Turbo Hydramatic. Can anyone tell me about the performance of these 4 speeds? I hear people love 'em or hate 'em.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing wrong with that transmission as long as it was rebuilt and set up properly. It won't have the sharp shifts from one gear to the next like a TH400, but it's strong and well suited to these cars. Pittsburgh 64 will be along soon to tell you all about that.

There was a recent thread in the 55-61 folder that's worth reading. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=541123

Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only shift that you can make crisp is the 2-3 shift as that is the only clutch shift in the trans. The 1-2 and 3-4 are fluid coupling shifts. It is a good strong trans when rebuilt properly.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Great Thread

Read the thread you recommended. Don't know how I missed that one. If you need one of these built in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area go with Dunham Transmissions in West Allis. Place has been around for a long time. The place is a treasure chest of old parts. The guy that rebuilt mine is an older German guy. They've got a couple of old Cadillac and Oldsmobile Jetaways laying around. When I was there one was being shipped to a guy in Sweden.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Suspended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoM8MafcA-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARX3pYolAQ

Mine shifts nice and fast.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=. Place has been around for a long time. The place is a treasure chest of old parts. The guy that rebuilt mine is an older German guy. They've got a couple of old Cadillac and Oldsmobile Jetaways laying around. .[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my place!