Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Safeguard Speedo Option

Hey guys I just picked up a really nice complete dash panel from another 66 Catalina. It's the front panel painted black complete with speedo, wire harness, heater control, radio, gauges, knobs, map light and dash plaque. Anyway, I was only planning on using the dash plaque, knobs, and gauges and thought I'd sell the rest if anyone was interested. Incase you're wondering why I didn't post this in the classifieds yet it's because this thing came with the safeguard speedo and I'm not really sure what these are worth? I believe them to be pretty rare, but I don't know if they're a hot commodity or not. Also, I was going to use the wire harness in my car since it's in excellent shape, but it appears to be specific with this speedometer, is that the case? I also didn't realize it's non/ac and my car has ac. Let me know what you can, appreciate the help.

-Steve

Old 12-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Didn't you convert to a console? If so, you need to use a console harness with that or modify the one you have. The speed alert speedo harness is the same as the regular. You have a separate little harness for the speed alert cluster that goes to the power & the buzzer. You should be able to use it if you have a column shift car no problem.

I have a speed alert on my wagon & on a parts car. I have watched them on E-bay and they don't go for much. I like it as a novelty, but that being said, mine just started alerting permanently, & as everyone knows it is a royal PITA to do anything behind the dash on these as it is a production to get the dashpad etc. out.

If you decide to get rid of it let me know. I might be interested as I assume the rheostat on mine is bad.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I've got the console. I pretty much made my own harness for that though. After I looked a little closer to this harness I have I see that it's identical except for the power circuit for the safeguard. I never really planned on keeping this speedo so will consider selling it. I will post some pictures of what I have in the classifieds in the next day or so.

-Steve

Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might ought to keep that wiring harness just in case one day you have a problem with the one in your car now.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dash shift & floor shift harnesses are different. You will need to modify the neutral safety switch circuit & a couple of other modifications to have that work for a floor shift car. If you need help, P.M. me. I did one & have it hanging up & can walk you through it by comparing to a std. floor shift one I have. Some simple changes can also be made to accommodate the gauge cluster while you are at it.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress