Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Still running @ 250*+

Here's one for ya... I decided to pull my Wagon out of the shop and work on the coupe for a couple of weeks... Well with the recent heat wave of the past week, really put the car to the test... I have driven it in 100*+ weather across the desert repeatedly with no issues. The car normally in the winter runs right at 185 (where my electric fans kick on) and stays right there. In summer it stays right around 200* in triple didgit temps.
Well alas the old thing finally gave out... Driving to the shop Monday I just happened to look down at my temp gauge and low and behold, it was at 250*!!! The engine wasn't even knocking! Still had plenty of power, 50# of oil pressure and just cruising. Then I Realized I no longer had 3rd gear and the trans was whining! Needless to say it wasn't coming from the normal planetary whine of a th400... The trans up and quit when I pulled in to the shop. And luck would have it, I really hadn't had time to work on the coupe yet so a quick wash and I was on the road and the Wagon is resting quietly again.

So here is my question, What temperature ranges you have seen in your cars in your respective climates.
I just want to if I am seeing unrealistic temps, thus having a bigger problem I need to look in to. I've never seen my car get that hot and I am going to replace the thermostat and tear down the water pump while I am waiting for my trans to get built and see if there is a problem.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM

sounds to me like the trans issue, which generated heat, transferred itself to the cooling system thru the radiator.

i've seen that in my 72 g/p in a traffic jam on the interstate in 100deg weather.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Chief

Three days ago - 202* in 105* weather. I have a big transmission cooler - transmission temp barely made 175*. At 90* temp the engine is at 180*.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Thanks All... As It turns out I had a bad T-stat that was stuck about a quarter open. Kinda figured the trans was not helping either... Gonna add a cooler when I put the new trans in. Also going to change to a 4bbl to free up some power... THEN I can finally fix the big dent in my coupe!
Thanks Again!
Mike

Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a cast iron T-stat housing, consider changing over to the Alum. The cast iron ones get eaten away and the 'stat gets all cattywompus in there and wont work right.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Pull your water pump and check if it has the stamped fins. If so take the time to find one with cast fins (Impeller) I've done lots of testing and there is a Huge difference in the flow. Tx Bobcat can tell you. The temp can be 25 degrees or more change. Also. your gauge can be off. My GP was running at 250 so I took it in to a shop to have radiator cleaned. The old guy let the car cool and then put his own gauge on and it was running at 185 not 250.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat
Pull your water pump and check if it has the stamped fins. If so take the time to find one with cast fins (Impeller) I've done lots of testing and there is a Huge difference in the flow. Tx Bobcat can tell you. The temp can be 25 degrees or more change. Also. your gauge can be off. My GP was running at 250 so I took it in to a shop to have radiator cleaned. The old guy let the car cool and then put his own gauge on and it was running at 185 not 250.
Thanks for the tips... I'll check the water pump but the I am pretty sure the gauge is accurate, it is an Autometer and this is the second car it has been in...
Thanks,
Mike