Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Is it bad to leave the ignition on to listen to the radio? (MSD)

Will it hurt the msd box or the coil to leave the ignition on with the engine not running. The distributor was an hei but it now uses the msd cap adaptor. Just dont want to burn anything up.

Last edited by Billy177; 08-17-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you say that you are leaving the ignition on - do you mean that the ignition key is in the ACCESSORY position or IGNITION ON [ie your idiot lights would be on].
In ACCESSORY there is no problem with playing the radio - that is what Accessory is for.
If you are leaving the key in Ignition On then you will burn up the at least the coil if not the module in your distributor. My friend accidently left his key in the Ignition On position for about two hours and the coil overheated and leaked all over the engine and also fried his Mallory distributor.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am refering to the actual on position, the accessory has never worked since I have had the car.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a good idea if only that you use more power because the MSD box is operating. It probably won't be running the coil tho; I think it'll drive the coil only when the box gets the triggger signal from the distributor.

George

Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you dont want to fix the switch/wires for accessory, hook up an under dash toggle switch from battery power to operate radio and whatever would normally run off the accessory position of the ignition switch. I would put a fuse between the switch and constant 12v power. That way you can run whatever with the key still in your pocket.
I did that with an old Ford work truck. As I recall I tapped into the cigar lighter power wire which is usually hot all the time. Worked great for many years.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that MSD units can sit idle with no harm with the ignition on. MSD says that the capacitor charges up and then there is no additional current draw until the engine cranks over - also no voltage going to the coil with the MSD. So the only thing would be the distributor module that could burn out. Seems that only the Ignitor II had a safety circuit to prevent burnout, but I'm not sure. If there is only a magnetic trigger then the key could be left on. Still seems like a bad idea to leave the key in the ignition for many other reasons.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

New switch?