Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:57 AM

Default New lifters and rocker arms...any kind of break in?

I'm going to be putting in new adjustable rocker arms and hydraulic lifters. The cam will still be in the engine. Is there any kind of break in I need to do? I've heard of people after putting in a new cam/lifters keeping the car between 1500-3000 rpm for 10 minutes, trying to get the lifters to spin...what do I need to do?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Boost Engineer

You need to use a good cam break-in lube between the rocker pivot ball and the rocker itself, IF it is a stock type rocker arm.

I am not a big fan of new lifters on any used camshaft. The parts
should both be new and if you cheap out on one or the other typically you will be doing it over down the road. The real key is how badly worn was the cam in the engine. A seasons worth of drag racing
(10 trips to the track at 12 passes each time = 30 miles, and nobody gets 12 passes at any normal track unless it is a rental deal). If you can afford to rent a track you can afford a new cam and lifters. You have idling and such but that typically causes little wear once the cam is broken-in. Those are key words "BROKEN IN" WHICH MEANS HAPPY WITH EACH OTHER THE LIFTERS AND THE CAM.

JMO

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 PM

The cam was put in about 5-8 years ago, but has seen very little road time. Right after the cam swap the car had some electrical problems and the owner put it away and it has sat ever since. Since I've had the car I've only put less than 300 miles on the car. Its not a drag car.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess another important question is, why are you replacing the lifters?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:15 PM

I bought a set of Rhodes V-max super lube lifters. To bring improve my low end power.