Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone using one of these

Oil filter delete from 61 Tempest 4 cylinder motor????

Plus (drag race only) or Minuses????

At what speed does the oil flow through the paper filter???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61 tempest oil filter delete.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	100207  

Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Hot rod deal and bad for oil flow as you have a high pressure then an expansion then the oil has to try and regain velocity on the upper passage of the block.

If you want to do that deal better to just use fittings and some stainless tubing. They used to use those on "Rails" where the oil filter would get in the way.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can think of few minuses and only one positive and that being the extra room it may provide.

Fram publishes flow numbers on their HP series filters. I haven't seen flow numbers on normal street type filters although I'd imagine they are avalable.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIV55
I can think of few minuses and only one positive and that being the extra room it may provide.

Fram publishes flow numbers on their HP series filters. I haven't seen flow numbers on normal street type filters although I'd imagine they are avalable.
I will only use Wix, till something better is explained to me here.

I read it also, gets rid of the weight of the filter, and a quart (or whatever) of oil weight, and the filter housing weight. The 61 tempest one is aluminum

I was asking about the oil speed because, I had read it was 50 mph and would blow shavings and such through the filter medium at that speed. Oh it was a 60# pump too.

Last edited by tikiklubracing; 08-04-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiklubracing
Oil filter delete from 61 Tempest 4 cylinder motor????

Plus (drag race only) or Minuses????

At what speed does the oil flow through the paper filter???

Bruce Fulper had some of those 61 Tempest 4 cyl plates made up and is selling them for 20 bucks but i won't use one.

I enclosed a link from Mr Fulpers site for you to read, i do not agree with Bruce on the bypass deal. Been installing a 3/8" pipe plug in mine for over 30 years with no problems.

http://www.pontiacpower.com/FAQ12.htm

Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiklubracing
... I was asking about the oil speed because, I had read it was 50 mph...
It's definitely not that fast. Free-flow of a Pontiac oil pump is 13-14 GPM @ 4,500 RPM (crank), which would be 3.76 MPH through a 1/2" diameter passage. But that's free flow- which only could occur with no restriction to pump output- zero pressure. To create around 60 PSI, the flow is restricted (by the engine) to some small fraction of that flow. I'd be surprised if the oil is even moving one MPH as it enters the filter- where it passes through many square inches of filter element, so oil speed through the element is only a fraction of one MPH.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wasn't too long ago this was covered, but for a quick recap:

It would be hard to find a filter today that did not have a built in bypass to relieve pressure. The filter has a big spring in the bottom and the element simply moves down and relieves pressure. Correct me, but Chevy's have the filter attachment cast in the block and they have no additional bypass. Could this have been a Pontiac thing only that is in place in case a filter was used with no built-in bypass?

No remote mounted filter adapter has any type of bypass built in to it. So all of us that are running remote filters are doing the same thing as plugging the adapter, just a little further away from the block.

Most high pressures are generated by the oil fighting the clearances in the engine and the pressure is going to be the same whether there is a filter in line or not. Cheap filter might balloon and blow, but that's what you get for running a cheap filter.

I have never, ever cut a filter open and saw any "bullet" holes in the filter media. In fact, if there is crap it is on the proper side of the filter. If I had not run a filter I would know right where the pieces are - imbedded in my bearings on the next pass of the oil. Cosidering the area of the media I would bet the flow of oil through any part of it is rather mellow.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed
Correct me, but Chevy's have the filter attachment cast in the block and they have no additional bypass. Could this have been a Pontiac thing only that is in place in case a filter was used with no built-in bypass?
OEM Chevy with spin on filter has a die cast filter mount within boss with bypass valve.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 AM

On my dragster because of clearance problems I made a plate that looks like the tempest plate, at the time I had never seen one of the ones for a tempest. I put a screen in mine, I don't think it would have caught anything, I used the screen for a couple of years and never found anything in it. I don't have the screen in it anymore, and just pulled the pan after close to a hundred passes and bearings look like new. I change the oil every other race weekend, then reuse it in my old chevy truck.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed
Correct me, but Chevy's have the filter attachment cast in the block and they have no additional bypass. Could this have been a Pontiac thing only that is in place in case a filter was used with no built-in bypass?

No remote mounted filter adapter has any type of bypass built in to it. So all of us that are running remote filters are doing the same thing as plugging the adapter, just a little further away from the block.
Chevy V-8's have a filter adaptor that bolts to the block which has a bypass valve like Gonicgm mentioned. Ford and mopars use filters that have a bypass and anti-backflow valve built in since they have no other provision.

Depending on what type of filters you are putting on your remote mount determines if there is a pressure relief.

tiki, Wix is also my filter of choice. Post #3 WASN"T a plug for fram.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Williams
Bruce Fulper had some of those 61 Tempest 4 cyl plates made up and is selling them for 20 bucks but i won't use one.

I enclosed a link from Mr Fulpers site for you to read, i do not agree with Bruce on the bypass deal. Been installing a 3/8" pipe plug in mine for over 30 years with no problems.

http://www.pontiacpower.com/FAQ12.htm
For some reason I clicked on this link and actually read Fulpers page on filters and bypasses. It made me realize what a complete moron he still is. IMHO......

Old 08-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fulper site is where I read the 50 mph thingy, and
I started wondering. Figured someone here would know for sure.

Quote;.....tiki, Wix is also my filter of choice. Post #3 WASN"T a plug for fram.

I'm hip to the cut of your jib.