Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Shop Vacs

Lately I've been looking at getting a decent shop vac. The one that I'm leaning towards is the craftsman one with 6.0hp.

here is the link: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Is there any better deals out there that I'm missing?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

I have had my Shop Vac for the past 6 years..No problems, and use it heavily. Had a Craftsman before that and the Shop Vac was the replacement after the motor went out.

I have a 16g 6 HP and paid $89.

I think I am going to replace it with either http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...611&lpage=none

Or

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...711&lpage=none

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Make sure you can get replacement filters for it. I would expect most all the big ones are the same. A friend of mine bought one of the smallest ones Shop-Vac brand makes for his boat. It worked great, but he couldn't find the right filter to fit it. He finally made one.
If you expect to pick up a lot of liquid, I'd look into one that pumps.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the 20 gal. version of that. Sucks like crazy. Much quiter than my old, smaller shopvac also.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Craftsman is around 15 years old. If it ever dies I'll get another.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard
Make sure you can get replacement filters for it. I would expect most all the big ones are the same. A friend of mine bought one of the smallest ones Shop-Vac brand makes for his boat. It worked great, but he couldn't find the right filter to fit it. He finally made one.
If you expect to pick up a lot of liquid, I'd look into one that pumps.
Sounds cheezy, but, I used (a used) Fram CA8039 (cartridge type) air filter from my Ford E350 van, to adapt an old shop vacuum. A replacement filter was no longer available, or I didn't know where to find one. It worked so well that when I buy a new shop vacuum, I'll be going the dual use route, and look for one that I can easily adapt to use a similiar type of auto air filter. It seems that after a few years some of the shop vac filters are not so easy to find!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 AM

My Craftsman Shop vacuum is ten years old & still sucks. I mean it still works great after many,many remodeling projects and wife's SUV interior disasters caused by our kids!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Off topic, but FYI... Best use for my shop vac was taping the end of it to a board and then placing it near the entrance of a yellow-jacket's nest that was right next to my back door. After 6 hours of bee sucking...no more nest. The queen and rest of the nest must have died out on their own. I sucked up some seven dust and shoved a rag in the end of the hose before turning it off. I then let it sit peacefully for a week. There was about 2" of dead yellow-jackets on the bottom when I opened it.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one of those craftstan 16 gallons for almost 20 years now and still going strong, it's a 2.25 HP one, even lent it to a buddy's who do construction and it still works. Only bad thing is filters are around 15 dollars, sometimes they go on sale and I buy a few then.

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys.

So, more or less, these vacs are al created equal? The only thing that should limit me is how I will be using it?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 PM

I own the model you're looking at - it sucks.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 PM

...but thats what it's supposed to do!

Old 08-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

I have a Shop Vac brand and love it. My Grandmother (and late Grandfather) has one of the OLD Shop Vacs with the metal canister.........still works to this day. They also had a larger Craftsman that has had a few problems........its about 7 years old I think............but it still works. The older Craftsman stuff is great but I dont trust any of their newer stuff that much. I have an old Craftsman jigsaw that is over 40 years old and still working.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just noticed this thread as I was looking at the new issue of Pop Mech that arrived today. They have a review of six of the most popular shop vacs. They had both the Ridged 14 gal and the Craftsman 16 gal as the top two, with Shop-Vac 14 gal coming in third.

They liked the Craftman's performance and capacity, but thought it might be a bit clumsy in a small shop, and they didn't like the hidden, hard to access On/Off button. The Ridgid model, while having a little less capacity, was their favorite and they couldn't find any negatives. They stated, about their testing, that a good way to tell which product was beating the competition during a test was the fact that they were using the Ridged for tasks outside the test regimen.

Having said all that for the purposes of comparison, I have a ten year old Craftsman. If it ever dies, I may take a look at the Ridgid.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 08-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

well, I think that I'll go with this, depending on what all comes with it: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Although, I am leaning towards: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Suspended

For cleaning out car interiors my leaf blower works better then the shop vac.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Craftsman and Rigid appear to be clones

At least the older ones were. Different size tubes on some.

I have a 10 year old Crafrtsman, the big one, and the thing is too loud to use. I use it when I have to, but I roll some of the spongies into my ears.

The motor detaches and is useful as a corded blower. It seems a lot quieter than when the motor is restricted on the vac case.

Greg