Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default couple problems with new build

First issue is that the cam when installed does not spin freely. You have to at least put the gear on so that you can use your whole hand to spin it. I am used to being able to turn it without the gear and just my fingers. The journals measure 1.899 to 1.900. Could the bearings be cocked or the cam bent?

Second issue is rod side clearance. first set is .015, second .009, third .010 and the fourth is .018. Arent a couple of those too tight? What is the remedy? Machine the rods?

This is on a near stock 400. Melling cam, similar to a 2801, and the rods are stock, resized with ARP bolts.

Last edited by matrix; 06-25-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix
First issue... cam when installed does not spin freely.

Second issue is rod side clearance... 009, .010
It's very common for installation of cam bearings to not be "perfect". Even the Pontiac shop manual acknowledges the possible need to slightly 'ream' new bearings selectively until cam spins freely. The manual talks about hand-use of a knife blade to lightly scrape shiny spots from bearings until it's free. Many shops convert an old camshaft into a 'reamer' by cutting a small square-edged groove into each journal. I've done this and it works well- there's no worry about removing any significant amount of material. (Your journal measurements are fine).

Pontiac shop manual (early 389) shows rod side clearance spec of .006"-.011", so you may be okay. But most people (including me) think that's pretty tight for any sort of performance use. If I were you, I'd look for an explanation of a couple of them being so much tighter- maybe a little burred edge from milling during resizing?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One or more of your cam bearings must be slightly cocked, For all the times that I have put cam bearings in (and I have a good puller type tool)there is almost always one bearing that needs to be re-seated in stright.
Its easy to put in more side clearance, get a 1 ft square of marble or glass, some sheets of 220 grit wet or dry sand paper and some soapy water, and you can sand in .003" in 10 minutes, just make sure to completly wash off the big end when your done.